Anybody Know About This Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewerGeorge

Reaction score
Jn3Hv58.jpg

Any info?

Last edited:
Hmm, sorry for some reason the image didn't attach. I'll keep trying to get that on here.

It's Filippo Berio "Saute & Grill" and blend of high oleic canola oil 80% and EVO 20%. Local restaurant supply store has it for $14/gallon.

Well based on the Canola HO's and Olive Oil's fatty acid profiles, this would be mostly Canola HO with a little more (~2%) of palmitic fatty acid from 20% of OO. But I doubt if you will find any difference at the end if you soap with this blended oil and with only Canola HO or Olive oil alone instead.

The SAP values are

Canola HO: 0.133
OO: 0.135

I would use the Canola HO's SAP value though and if you generally do a 5% lye discount, you would get a little more by this method. So I would use around 3 or 4% lye discount for that case.

That's a blend,what do you want to know? Are you going to soap with it? Does anyone know how to do the lye on a blend?
Sure, I'm considering it as a substitution for olive oil, though perhaps canola HO alone would be even better.

I guess I'm looking for subjective opinions on canola HO or this more specifically. Beyond the numbers, what kind of soap does it make?

As for how to do the blend, I'd just set them as two entries at an 80/20 ratio. That is, if I was substituting in a recipe with 20% olive oil, I'd make a canola HO entry at 16% (20*.8) and an olive entry at 4% (20*.2).

I've been wanting to use Canola oil instead of the soy that I've been using. Seems lot of people can't do soy. Does Canola change the soap any? Is Canola an unpredictable oil?:confused:

Beyond the numbers, what kind of soap does it make?

From my little experience I have made a soap that had 40% Sunflower HO and another soap with 40% OO and everything else were exactly the same.

The Sunflower HO soap could produce suds a little more faster than the OO soap. I guess it is the more palmitic acid in OO to blame as it less water soluble FA than the others in the recipe.

If I had used 40% Canola HO I guess it might produce the same suds with Sunflower HO in even a little less time as it has more Linoleic FA that makes a little softer bar and thus it melts somehow easier with friction. The same linoleic FA amount is found in OO too but OO has the palmitic that maybe holds back the solubility.

So you can somehow imagine what the blend would bring but I doubt if you will see any major differences. It will actually would be mostly Canola HO type of soap as you can see bellow:

FA profiles:

Sunflower Oil, high oleic
Palmitic 3
Stearic 4
Oleic 83
Linoleic 4

Canola Oil, high oleic
Palmitic 4
Stearic 2
Oleic 74
Linoleic 12

Olive Oil
Palmitic 14
Stearic 3
Oleic 69
Linoleic 12

-----------------

The Blend you found (Canola HO FAs x 0.8 + Olive oil FAs x 0.2):
Palmitic 6
Stearic 2,2
Oleic 73
Linoleic 12

Last edited:
BTW, I have no real plans to switch out plain, old olive oil. I make soap so infrequently that I can afford the $2 for olive squeezings when necessary. But I have a friend who stopped using olive (and replaced it with soy!) because she thinks olive is too expensive. I was considering forwarding this find to her.

BTW, I have no real plans to switch out plain, old olive oil. I make soap so infrequently that I can afford the $2 for olive squeezings when necessary. But I have a friend who stopped using olive (and replaced it with soy!) because she thinks olive is too expensive. I was considering forwarding this find to her.

I know a lot of people on this forum say they get DOS with canola oil and no longer use it.

Last edited:
I used regular Canola for several years with no dos problems. I now use HO Canola and really like it, much better than olive oil. To me anything over 25-30% olive is sticky, but I do not get that with Canola. I get dos when using lard if I do not add in BHT. I also like the feel of lard, tallow and canola in soap
I should try a tester and see how I like it. I am looking for something to replace soy. I get people that have allergies with soy. I feel that internal is not the same as external use. But I don't know.

If those people are legitimately allergic (as opposed to does not want to use for other reasons), you need to avoid using soy in the soaps they get. You do not need a lawsuit on the extremely low chance they have an allergic reaction. I would even warn them that the soap was made using items that previously made soy soap to be sure they knew it.

IMHO, soybean oil does not make good soap for me. I have tried it from 10-30%, and I just do not care for it. And I really detest the smell of canola, so I can't see bringing it my house.

Susie - Just curious, what does Canola oil smell like to you? I love it and use it in soap and it just smells like oil to me, not strong in any way. It's high oleic, not sure if that makes a difference.

I hate high OO soap. Too slippery and slimy. Don't like soy either.

Unrefined rapeseed oil (canola) smells terrible, but most grocery store canola is very heavily deodorized. I can't say I've ever noticed a particular smell from grocery canola, but if my wife has taught me anything in 16 years of marriage it's that some people have more sensitive sniffers than others.

I stopped eating such heavily processed oils a couple years ago and now only keep coconut and olive in the kitchen, so I guess it's possible that something changed.

If those people are legitimately allergic (as opposed to does not want to use for other reasons), you need to avoid using soy in the soaps they get. You do not need a lawsuit on the extremely low chance they have an allergic reaction. I would even warn them that the soap was made using items that previously made soy soap to be sure they knew it.

IMHO, soybean oil does not make good soap for me. I have tried it from 10-30%, and I just do not care for it. And I really detest the smell of canola, so I can't see bringing it my house.
my labels have my ingredients, and those that are allergic read what is in the soap. Its difficult to tell who is and who isn't at a farmers market. I do want to replace the soy though with something else. I don't use a lot, 5% is how much I use of soy.

Latest posts

Back