Anybody double shrink wrap bar soaps?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl

Reaction score
I'm thinking shrink wrap it, label it , and then shrink wrap again to protect the label. An extra piece of wrap is only about a nickel so no cost problem.

Anyone do this? How does it work for you? You happy about it? Any pros/cons?

I'd love to hear feedback

Thanks!!

I do that with my lip balms but not soap. Before I switched to boxes and adhesive labels, I put my paper label against the soap and then shrink-wrapped. As a consumer it would irritate me to have so much packaging in a product.

you could spray a clear coat on your label to protect it if putting it on the outside if you print with an inkjet. Or you can get the waterproof labels. I have a laser printer and I’ve never had to protect my labels from water/moisture damage or rub off.

I usually don't double shrink wrap, but I have done a few times when the heat gun made a big hole in the wrap and I want better coverage. I think I've done it a couple of other times for some similar reason, but I prefer to do it only once per bar of soap because it really takes more time.

I don't have the time or energy to double wrap my soaps. I make way too much and the added expense would add up in the end. I place my label on the outside of the wrap. I'm rebranding (or trying to) and will be placing the label on the soap then wrapping.

Thanks for all the replies.

To all of you that puts the shrink wrap over the label (and the label touches the soap): does the oil of the soap every stain or seep through the label?

I use weatherproof labels from online labels. So no for me. Salt bars I label on the outside still. I use bands not entire shrinkwrap.

Nice. I love the weatherproof labels.

It's too bad that the only color they have them in is white. I like to use the Kraft (cardboard looking) color on some bars.

I make paper labels using a sturdy brochure paper (180 gram per square meter weight). I put the labels under the shrink wrap, so they're directly in contact with the soap.

I do get some discoloration of the labels for one soap I make. I think it's the FO I'm using in that soap that weeps out a bit over time. I'm reducing the % of that particular FO in my formulation to see if that solves the problem. I don't notice any weeping or discoloration of the labels with any of my other soaps.

I wouldn't care to double wrap the bars. Even though the shrink bags I use aren't all that expensive (about 1 cent per bag), that would take too much time and be too fiddly for me.

To all of you that puts the shrink wrap over the label (and the label touches the soap): does the oil of the soap every stain or seep through the label?

On the few soaps I put the label on the inside of the shrink wrap (oddly shaped soaps where an outer label just doesn't work so well, hearts, or what-not) I have not yet had any get oily or stained. The paper I use is usually a pretty thick type of paper, not quite card stock, but thicker than plain printer paper usually.

I put my label on the soap then shrink wrap
Ditto.

I use Avery labels and I've never had that happen.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am one who had problems with the labels inside getting seepage. I SF at 3% so I didn't think it would be a problem, and I still don't think it was the soap that caused it, but more the weather conditions and different humidity/heat/sunlight exposure once I started doing out door shows. I switched to the labels on the outside and haven't looked back. It also makes rebranding/correcting label mistakes (because that happens) so much easier because I don't have to re-wrap everything to do it. When I switched from a wrap-around label to just one on the front, I noticed those labels don't seem to get dirty from handling/being shuffled around various shows etc. the same way that the wrap-around do.

Back