Any writers out there?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmlove1218

Reaction score
I was just wondering if there were any other writers out there. I write poetry and started a novel but never got around to finishing it. What do you write?

I used to write a lot of poetry, and I can write a poem every once in a while, but don't write too much currently. I started a couple "books" twice but both got eaten by a word processor and a computer. I think I would do a lot more writing if I wasn't so busy with life :) Probably should do more of it.

The book I started was about two rogue vampires in a futuristic setting. Only they weren't your typical vampire because it was cause by a very rare genetic disorder. I don't write as much poetry as I used to either. I kind of miss writing. I wish I had more time for it.

same here. Im influenced by movies too. I'm not sure what spurred my last writing session. Anyway, it's been a few months since I've bothered with it. I keep thinking it's probably not good anyway.

I write about herbs, wild crafting, aromatherapy, and making such things into food. Non fiction, of course.

I too, started a novel a few years ago, and while I still work on it regularly, I'm nowhere near finishing.

Part of what stops me from just finishing it, are the discouraging advice out there that a first novel has to be 100,000 or fewer words. My novel looks like it will be duology at best, too much for a single novel, but not enough for a trilogy.

My novel toggles between present day era and Victorian era, and involves a group of people with specific challenges in life today, and a group of people from 150 years ago with different challenges. Reading between the eras, the reader should come to the conclusion that there's a connection between the present day characters and the Victorian characters, and why they have found themselves in the situations they are in today. I am hoping that once the book is finished, the reader will want to read it again, knowing what they know, so they can have a fuller understanding of the details.

The plot involves romance, karma, family drama, class differences, second chances, and depending on what you believe, the supernatural or superstition.

I have about 64,000 words of a novel I started in 2008 during NaNoWriMo, during which I wrote the first 50,000 words in the 30 days of November! Writing fast with a crazy deadline helped me so much... after it was over....well, the math speaks for itself :)

I started a novel (fiction) last year and reached 33,000 words but have not looked at it for months. The story arc is complete but it's at a stage where I need to make it more descriptive, as the language is a little too unsophisticated and lacking that 'oomph' factor. I need a good writing course or preferably a support group before taking it any further. I honestly thought that coming up with a good plot would be the hardest part but there's so much more to writing than that.

Sadly there is no room for soap-making in my novel (...I'll save that for a future project!)

Y'all's writings sound wonderful. Hopefully you get published one day so I can read them lol. I find I have the most trouble with the endings. No matter what I'm writing, I can't seem to have a good, complete ending. It's either a cliff hanger or it's drug out too long ha.

Maya gave me the courage to come forward. I'm not a novelist and though I have written poetry, it was years ago. I do love to use words. Most of my efforts are persuasive in nature. I do a bit of informative writing, too. During the school year my most common "masterpieces" are to parents. I can let them know their little angel has been showing horns without them knowing what hit them. :) Peers come to me for advice on informing that unpersuaded parent or to make suggestions to what they have in mind.

If I had not become a teacher I think I would have been a news reporter.

Lots of poets out there.
I challenge you to write a short poem about soap or soap-making (and put it on this forum...)

Here is my attempt (please don't kick me off the forum!):

I’ve started a new hobby; I’m making pretty soap
Some have swirls or layers, or dangle on a rope
Others smell of tea tree or citrus fruits or cream
Or coffee with banana - a little less mainstream.

I’ve had the odd disaster; supposed to be vanilla
Turned out to be a super substitute for polyfilla.
And then there was that lime one with too much hydroxide
My husband’s using that one as a garden insecticide.

So all my friends and family are using home-made gifts
They lavish praise on lather and aroma that uplifts
There’s one thing they all say though, when asked just what they think
Please don’t put little bits in it - they clog the bathroom sink!

Last edited:
I only do technical writing. Not very exciting stuff. I make a good beta reader though since I'm good at proofreading and noticing things that need to be tweaked. My DH has books in his head that he wants to write, but I haven't been very successful at getting him to actually start writing any of them. I think he's afraid to start.

I use to do proposal writing and have a degree in English but I am a horrible writer. :D. Really I am just inexperienced. I use to write poetry, years ago, but I haven't written much since I had kids.

Something in my future maybe.

Latest posts

Back