Any tips for green natural colorants to use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a goat milk soap I made several weeks ago, and the green color has not faded. The green color was made with French green clay and spirulina powder. I dispersed the colors in oil.
The goat milk soap has a yellow/cream color, so I have to be careful with colors when I add them and really think about what the final result will be, and this soap is one of my coloring successes.
I have soaps colored with cocoa powder, turmeric, French pink and green clays, indigo powder, etc… if you’re interested in seeing how any of those turned out.

Attachments

• D24AAB71-9327-4DE3-A48A-78913F14518C.jpeg
    D24AAB71-9327-4DE3-A48A-78913F14518C.jpeg
    197.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 68CE243F-55AC-4CE2-B064-E54EE83918A6.jpeg
    68CE243F-55AC-4CE2-B064-E54EE83918A6.jpeg
    198.1 KB · Views: 0
  • C8D51FA3-4260-41A6-A9BA-1C009052015C.jpeg
    C8D51FA3-4260-41A6-A9BA-1C009052015C.jpeg
    200.6 KB · Views: 0
I wouldn't use indigo, it can be a very bad allergin and most people wouldn't be aware they have it.

I have used spirulina for a really nice green but as mentioned it fades to a tannish green relative quickly. Left in a bright room, it can fade in a few hours.

Cucumber juice that includes the skin made a nice soft green.

Tried ground parsley once, ok color but it was scratchy. Might have been better as a juice.

Nori, soaked and stick blended into water made a interesting pale green with speckles

I wouldn't use indigo, it can be a very bad allergin and most people wouldn't be aware they have it.

I have used spirulina for a really nice green but as mentioned it fades to a tannish green relative quickly. Left in a bright room, it can fade in a few hours.

Cucumber juice that includes the skin made a nice soft green.

Tried ground parsley once, ok color but it was scratchy. Might have been better as a juice.

Nori, soaked and stick blended into water made a interesting pale green with speckles
I’ve been using spirulina for a while and haven’t noticed any major issues with fading. Most of my colors tend to darken over time as the soap cures. And even if it did lighten, I’d rather use that than micas. Haven’t seen an issue with indigo thus far, and I list it on the ingredients. Indigo powder is used in henna, so it’s not uncommon for use. If I didn’t include an ingredient for every person who had an allergy or potential allergy, I wouldn’t be able to make soap. I list ingredients and let people make their own decisions. Plus, I mostly make soap for myself and my family.

Try infusing your liquid oils (olive oil etc) with dried and powdered dandelion leaves like Tellervo does in her video below.

Hi all, I’ve been making lye based cold and hot processed soaps for about two years now and I’m starting to explore more options to add colors to my soaps. I’ve used charcoal powder to make black/gray soaps and turmeric for orange ones. Now I’m trying to make a green soap, preferably a lighter green and I’d like to stick to natural ingredients. I’ve found some blog posts that mentioned using spinach powder and this seems promising but I was wondering if anyone here has tried using fresh spinach juice instead of water? I almost always have fresh spinach in the house and so this seems like it might be an easier/cheaper option for me compared to spinach powder but I’m worried about the final color/smell of the soap. I might just try a small batch soon and see how it goes but I thought I’d ask first.

When I tried googling I found a couple of old threads on here that mentioned spinach juice but not many responses, so I thought I’d ask if anyone has tried this? I’m thinking of just blending up some spinach and a little water in my vitamix and using that as the water in a cold process recipe. If anyone has tried the spinach powder I’d love to get your thoughts on that too. Does the spinach powder smell? I’m worried I’m going to buy a big tub and not like how the soap comes out so if anyone has any tips for working it with it that would be great!
I've used dried peppermint & Nettles. I infused the oil by microwaving. It can also be done in a slow cooked. The soap will be a medium lime color and it lasts a very long time- I'm talking years.
Also, the peppermint infused oil is wonderful for a gentle cooling conditioner or lotion. I honestly can't remember if the cooling effects held up with CP soap.

Carrots(baby food) makes a nice orange or yellow shade and it lasts longer than turmeric. Red palm oil & unrefined wheatgerm oil does as well.

Latest posts

Back