Any suggestions?? It ia going to be a coffee scrub bar..

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hanes5711

Reaction score
but I want it conditioning at the end of the day.

1614187021621.png
ions I

That's a lot of different ingredients! Your fatty acid profile looks good to me, though. I'm willing to bet you could achieve it with fewer ingredients, but there's nothing wrong with variety, as long as you don't forget anything.
Since this is soap, it will always remove some oils from your skin. However, it can leave some of your natural oils instead of removing everything.
The water looks a little high, but if you're worried about mildness, you should let this soap cure for at least 3 months anyways. It might also be a while before you can unmold it without squishing it as well. I'd recommend 2:1 water: lye ratio instead.

If your skin is dry, you've got some nice ingredients for body butter. If you've got beeswax, you could also make lotion bars.

That is a HUGE batch of soap - 14 lbs of oils, and almost 2.5:1 water:lye ratio, for a total of 21 lbs. :oops:

Since you have never made this recipe before, please consider making a 1 or 2lb batch to start. That allows you to test it in real life without wasting a lot of expensive ingredients. This advice is even more urgent if you are inexperienced as a soapmaker (don't want to assume either way).

Good catch, @AliOop ! I didn't even look at the batch size.
In 3 months, you'll have soap you can use, but it probably won't be exactly what you want/need, and you'll need to tweak the recipe and make another batch, which you'll be able to use 3 months from then. So you really only need 3 months of soap, which is probably a half-pound of soap, but you could make 2 pounds if you'd like feedback from friends. Once you've got it to what you- and your friends- want, then maybe move onto the larger batches.

Back