Any suggestions for An Acne Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
soap made with tomato juice as your liquid
added honey and collodial oatmeal and some tea tree oil

great combination for a face soap. Just remember you can't sell it as an acne bar because that is making a medical diagnosis and we are not doctors according to the FDA and their rules and regs. Can't even make lip balm and say it's for chapped lips even though we all know better. Just the way the fda is set up.

good luck

lsg said:
Here is a site with a recipe

http://www.controlmyacne.com/tips/help/ ... ne-recipes for honey/oatmeal soap. Tea tree oil might help if added to soap at trace

Hi there -

I have to say that I disagree with the link to the "acne" recipe... it has lard and shortening in it... these can clog the pores.

Pretty much I would use oils that are known to NOT clog pores and be safe and gentle on the skin (grapeseed and olive is a good one). This is just my opinion as I say use what works for you...

You also might consider making a bar that is layered - as some people with acne have very sensitive skin and something used as an exfoliant might be irritating to the skin... possibly layer the scrub on the top and the other side would have none.

My preferences are to make a castile "like" bar that is not stripping to the skin and use EO's like tea tree and neem. Good luck!

:)

I have never heard that crisco will plug pores,

but I have heard the wife's tale that lard will and I do think that is exactly that. An old wife's tale.

But you also have to remember this. Sodium Talloate found on soap labels is animal fat mixed with lye. These are found in your beauty bars that are supposed to be used on the face as well as good old fashioned ivory soap.

So while it might irritate some people you can't classify it as everyone and is acceptable to use in a bar of soap.

Not forgetting that the composition of the lard changes during the chemical reaction that takes place with the oils and the lye. You no longer have lard, but soap instead.

An oil is an oil and will plug pores no matter how you look at it. Some are better than others but when you boil it down you still have an oil.

And some peoples skin like an exfoilant while others don't.

I was also thinking the recipie seemed pretty 'fatty', but guess it wouldnt be on there if it didn't work for some people right? I will definately use tea tree oil, because i just recently learned that it was good for your skin. Thanx! for the help!

I hear what you are saying Faithy, but those oils are not classified as noncomedogenic - or non pore clogging. Here is some info on the subject --

LOW CLOGGING PROBABILITY
Almond Oil (Sweet Almond), Anhydrous Lanolin, Apricot Kernal Oil, Avocado Oil, Beeswax, Bentonite Clay, Candelilla Wax, Castor Oil, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomile Extract, Emulsifying Wax NF, Emu Oil, Evening Primrose Oil, Glycerin, Hexyldecanol, Hydroxypropyl Cellulose
Jojoba, Kaolin Clay, Olive Oil, Peanut Oil, Polysorbate 20 and 80
Safflower Oil, Sesame Oil, Squalane, Stearic Acid, Sunflower Oil, Tocopherol, Aloe Vera (cold pressed)

MEDIUM CLOGGING PROBABILITY
Corn Oil, Cottonseed Oil, Crisco Sodium
Glyceryl Stearate SE, Hydrogenated Vegetable Oil, Mink Oil, Soybean Oil, Sulfonated Castor Oil

HIGH CLOGGING PROBABILITY
Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Chloride (salt), Wheat Germ Oil

Helpful info on the subject --

http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-noncomedogenic.htm

http://bellecitysoapworks.com/noncomedogenic_oils.html

Cheers!

Sorry if I created a disturbance. I don't know anything about the clogging qualities of the soap. I just ran across this recipe and thought it might help. Use your own judgement with anything I post. :D

lsg said:
Sorry if I created a disturbance. I don't know anything about the clogging qualities of the soap. I just ran across this recipe and thought it might help. Use your own judgement with anything I post. :D

You did not cause a disturbance. It is a healthy debate and those are good. Also, sometimes it is just a matter of a difference of opinion that is being expressed. And sometimes, someone might know a bit more than another person or something that another person does not. It is all part of the learning curve and the exchanging and sharing of ideas and knowledge.

Clays are good for oily skin too. I like kaolin clay and tea tree oil for that. I think Faithy is right about the tomato juice though because the acids in the juice could break down the oils in the skin.

kaoline clay is actually best for those with normal, dry or sensitive skin while bentonite clay is best for those with oily skin because it has "excellent oil absorbing properties. Thought to remove acne causing toxins from the skin and revitalizes tired skin. Very soft clay. Useful on oily skin."

faithy said:
kaoline clay is actually best for those with normal, dry or sensitive skin while bentonite clay is best for those with oily skin because it has "excellent oil absorbing properties. Thought to remove acne causing toxins from the skin and revitalizes tired skin. Very soft clay. Useful on oily skin."

I have heard this, but not tried it... just placed a clay order with FNWL ... I know there are some that you can make a masque with and that are used for body wraps... good idea for soaps too! :)

I have used green clay in a soap recipe and found that it helped with acne. Keep in mind though that clays can be drying which, without moisturizing properly after use, can perpetuate the problem.

I know clay is good, but are there any types of clay that are bad for your skin? Something that might make you break out? :?

how do you add witch hazel to recipe

I've been thinking about making an acne bar with tea tree oil and witch hazel. Do you use the witch hazel in place of some of the water? Does lye react to other liquids like water?
Thanks,
Opalgirl

Well Opal, I was hoping someone would have answered your question about the witchhazel, so figured I'd give this thread a little bump and note a few things I've noticed about "acne soap".

The clogging probability chart posted earlier confuses me if nothing else, for two reasons....

1) When I tried using 100% Olive Oil soap on my face it made me break out (i'm 41 and only "break out" once a month usually, lol!) when I normally wouldn't have, and it also was the same for a friend of mine who tried it on her face. So according to the above where it is listed as low clogging probability, baffles me.

2) I made a salt soap (with the salt almost equal to the weight of oils in the recipe) and it works wonders! I don't "break out" per say, but usually the beginnings of pimples along with ending ones here and there, all the time, and since using the Salt Soap daily for the last month or so......I've had 1...... So again, baffled.....

I was hoping someone would have had more suggestions for a recipe for the poster....I was kinda looking for something else to try, because though I do believe the Salt Soap has helped with the acne, I'd like to try something a little more conditioning at the same time....
The tomato juice is an interesting additive I'd like to try...but the only time I've ever soaped with anything other than water..........let's just say it didn't work so well and the idea of using the juice scares me.

I see that faithy is no longer with us???? Has anyone else tried the tomato juice? How is it used?

Thanks all!
Happy Soaping!!!!

PS: I JUST made a "Pistachio Ice Cream" tinted green with darker green swirls using Paul's Wal-Mart recipe.....I'm excited to see how it turns out. The SWIRLS even kinda looked like swirls!

I was just looking up a recipe for a acne soap as well and found the following:

2.6 oz sweet almond oil
2.6 oz Castor oil
2.6 oz Coconut oil
2.6 oz Grapeseed oil
21.4 oz Olive Oil
4.3 Lye
11.4 fl. oz water

Add at trace: 1.4 oz Lemon grass EO, 0.5 oz tea tree oil

I was thinking I would replace some of the Lemongrass EO with Lavender EO since this is also great for acne, or would that be to much of a "good thing"

I haven't tried this recipe yet (just ordered Lemongrass EO today)

Please give me some input!

Thank you

I'll have to try this too, but I have to get the almond oil, the LGEO AND some more TTEO......it could be awhile :cry:

Oh, and some mator juice!

Let us know if you try the recipe, K? (interesting, no clays...maybe a little could be added? hmmmm)

Thanks!

I am wondering if adding clay to the soap might help or maybe just doing a hotprocess with a small batch of soap and then after cooling the soap a bit, adding essential oils such as tea tree, lavender, bergamot, rosewood or clove, singly or in some combinations. That way you might get more of the beneficial effects of the essential oils.

Latest posts

Back