Any Shampoo bar with no rinsing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sonya is soaping

Reaction score
I'm interested in shampoo bars but I'm wondering if anyone ever uses them without making their own vinegar rinse?
Anyone had any luck with recipes that don't need rinsing afterwards or just use their regular store conditioner after?

I no longer use lye-based soap on my hair either. It doesn't matter what recipe you use to make the soap -- all lye-based soap has a pH well above 7, no matter how you make it. And alkaline pH is hard on hair. An acid rinse helps reverse some of that damage.

Even with a vinegar or citric acid rinse, the cuticle of my hair gradually became permanently damaged. I eventually had to trim off quite a few inches. Some people say soap works fine on their hair, so YMMV. But I would not skip the acid rinse if you want to wash your hair with soap.

Acid added to soap, whether you add it to the batter or after saponification, will always react and will increase the superfat. Acids do not stay acids when mixed with soap. Vinegar in soap reacts to form the salt sodium acetate. Sodium acetate doesn't act as an "acid rinse" on your hair if that's what you're after.

I've been using my own shampoo bars on my hair for several years now. No vinegar rinse or conditioner. I have a very short pixie cut and my hair handles it very well, in fact, my hairdresser says she is impressed with how healthy it is. I do not recommend using the shampoo bars to anyone, but I have no issues myself.

Unless you use extra lye to react the vinegar you only end up with higher superfat not sodium acetate. DeeAnna, correct me if I am wrong. :p

I absolutely will not use soap on my hair. Hair does not like soap much
I add the ACV after my soap is done, there is no lye to react with , i do HP soaps :)

It doesn't matter whether you add the vinegar to the lye or to the soap. It still reacts with sodium ions contributed by the alkali to form sodium acetate.

If vinegar added directly to the lye, the alkali contributes the sodium directly and the superfat is actual fat. If vinegar (or other acid) is added to soap, the soap breaks down to release those sodium ions. The superfat in this case is fatty acids from the decomposed soap.

You can see proof that acid breaks down soap if you try this with liquid (KOH) soap -- First, make the soap properly with a low superfat and dilute it. Observe the diluted soap is clear and uniform. Add a small amount of an acid. Observe that the soap becomes cloudy and will eventually separate into a clear soap layer and a floating layer of fatty acids. The exact same thing happens to bar soap, but the change is hidden within the structure of the soap. But it still happens, even though the change isn't visible.

Soap is a salt and salts are generally pretty willing to be chemically flexible. It's tempting to assume once the soap is made, it's going to stay as soap no matter what, but that's not remotely the truth.

Okay well I'm totally put off shampoo bars. We all have long hair in our house (except MR.) so I'm not willing to risk it.
Thanks for the extra info

It doesn't matter whether you add the vinegar to the lye or to the soap. It still reacts with sodium ions contributed by the alkali to form sodium acetate.

If vinegar added directly to the lye, the alkali contributes the sodium directly and the superfat is actual fat. If vinegar (or other acid) is added to soap, the soap breaks down to release those sodium ions. The superfat in this case is fatty acids from the decomposed soap.

You can see proof that acid breaks down soap if you try this with liquid (KOH) soap -- First, make the soap properly with a low superfat and dilute it. Observe the diluted soap is clear and uniform. Add a small amount of an acid. Observe that the soap becomes cloudy and will eventually separate into a clear soap layer and a floating layer of fatty acids. The exact same thing happens to bar soap, but the change is hidden within the structure of the soap. But it still happens, even though the change isn't visible.

Soap is a salt and salts are generally pretty willing to be chemically flexible. It's tempting to assume once the soap is made, it's going to stay as soap no matter what, but that's not remotely the truth.
Thank you for the information and your time explaining it to me. :)

I love my coconut milk shampoo bars! My expensive salon shampoo is being completely ignored. I just use a tiny bit of store-bought conditioner on the ends...that's it. My hair has never felt better. I have fine, shoulder length hair and wash it every day (my scalp, anyway). The pH strip shows the shampoo bar at 8, like most of the soaps I make. Can share the recipe if you decide you'd like to try it.

I would love to have to recipe actually. I've still been thinking about it and my husband uses coconut oil in his hair everyday, he loves it!
I've been making and using shampoo bars since 2004, altho I rarely use a bar any more since I perfected liquid Hair & Body Shampoo. This subject has been discussed many times here on SMF. Here's what I wrote on another thread:

With all due respect to my colleagues here that prefer syndets, I didn't learn to make my own bath and body products to dump more chemicals into my system! I'm a big fan of homemade all natural shampoo bars and I'm thankful that SMF wasn't my first soapmaking forum or I never would have had the pleasure of making homemade shampoo bars.

That being said, the difference between shampoo bars and regular bars is the time it takes to find the choice of oils/fats/butters you find that work for you and for your hair. There's no "one size fits all". For some, that may be coconut-oil-based (copious lather, highly cleansing); for others, that may be olive-oil-based (negligible lather, gentle cleansing), or any variation you can imagine.

Example: I once had a request to make a 100% almond oil (liquid) shampoo for a customer and I was totally blown away by the result. Wonderful, gentle cleansing shampoo that left my hair and scalp totally clean, conditioned, manageable and shiny.

Personally, I've been shampooing for years with every "regular bar" that happens to be in the shower that day, which led to some interesting discoveries. But that first year was challenging. It took time to find the right formula for me. Other CP-ers have the same experience. It's not unusual for a soaper to go back to commercial shampoo for a week or two during that first year before carrying on, as I did. It does take time for your hair to get used to using a non-syndet all natural hard bar.

It's important to rinse thoroughly with increasingly cool water until it's as cold as you can stand it, to close the hair shaft and remove all the soap scum. An acid rinse with apple cider vinegar or lemon (and others) helps remove any residual scum and restores the pH balance to the scalp. A beer rinse adds volume.

For conditioning and shine, after towel drying, I like to rub a dot or two of argan oil between my palms, then apply to the ends before working it through the rest of my hair.

HTH

...The pH strip shows the shampoo bar at 8, like most of the soaps I make. ...

Believe what you like, but the fact is pH strips are notoriously inaccurate, especially the way most soapers use them. You can confirm this by comparing the strip results with a properly calibrated pH meter. Strips typically show a pH reading is lower than what the pH really is.

I have become a non soap/shampoo user on my hair for the last 6 months. Amazing what just hot water and brisk scalp rub can do. Works wonderfully for me and my elongated forehead has stabilized. My barber says there's nothing crawling around up there and all seems well. Love it. :)

I would love to have to recipe actually. I've still been thinking about it and my husband uses coconut oil in his hair everyday, he loves it!

This recipe is from the web. Unfortunately I can't remember who's it is to credit them for it.

COCONUT MILK SHAMPOO BARS Makes 12 4oz bars (3lbs)
10oz olive oil
9oz coconut oil
5oz castor oil
3oz cocoa butter
3oz almond oil
2oz shea butter
1oz beeswax
6oz distilled water
4.6 oz lye
6oz coconut milk (added at light trace)
1oz essential oils (whatever's best for your hair type)

Latest posts

Back