Any real way of finding/figuring out fragrance oil weight online?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceCorgi94

Reaction score
So I'm new to soapmaking, starting to look into incorporating scents into my soap.

Golden rule up to this point of course being, measure by weight, not volume.

However, every website seems to exclusively sell their product in mls, not g(rams). Some I've even found have links to recipe lye/fragrance calculators on the fragrance oil page listing, and these too indicate the required amount in g.

Am I missing something here? Am I being overly conservative by wanting to only buy the amount of fragrance oil I need for a loaf or two, instead of buying in 100ml bulk "just to be sure"? Is there some rule of thumb formula I've not come across in estimating the mass of a volume of oil, etc?

Please let me know if there's any real way of knowing how much fragrance oil to buy when you need it in grams, yet everywhere seems to sell it in volume.

Thank you!

Each fragrance oil will weigh differently than each other one. Just take 5 ml of FO "X" and weigh it. Mark that on the bottle. Or in a notebook. Be sure you write down the supplier as well as the name, as each supplier will have its own "recipe".

Truthfully, I just measure it by pouring it into a container on a tared scale before using. But, if I am making a 4 lb batch of soap, I will just pour the 2 oz sample bottle in. That is close enough.

Each fragrance oil will weigh differently than each other one. Just take 5 ml of FO "X" and weigh it. Mark that on the bottle. Or in a notebook. Be sure you write down the supplier as well as the name, as each supplier will have its own "recipe".

Truthfully, I just measure it by pouring it into a container on a tared scale before using. But, if I am making a 4 lb batch of soap, I will just pour the 2 oz sample bottle in. That is close enough.

Ohh okay, so it's just an aspect of the craft that has to be done through trial and error. Thank you so much for the example, I feel a lot more confident getting a 10, 50, 100ml bottle while I'm starting out! :D

The density of scents will vary. Some are heavier than water and some are lighter. Some companies such as Nature's Garden provide that info, but others do not. Susie's method is the way to go if the supplier doesn't give that info.

I use MMS (Majestic Mountain Sage) Fragrance Calc. It gives both weight and volume measures. :thumbup:
If you use 500g oils and play around with it for a bit you'll find the results for FOs is almost the same while the results for EOs varies.

NOTE: They recommend adding fragrance at light trace, which is fine. I prefer adding fragrance to my oils before adding the lye solution. It's a good way to insure the fragrance is fully incorporated into the batch and you're less likely to forget to add it. 😁

At this stage of the game, find a supplier that offers "sample sets" to save on shipping. Here in the States some suppliers sell by weight; some by volume. More importantly, some sell in glass bottles; some in plastic. With plastic, I found fragrances degrade faster while sitting on the shelf, especially EOs, so I transfer to glass as soon as they arrive. IMO, it's better to buy glass bottles that can be repurposed.

Back