Any quilters out there?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
Looking for ideas on how to quilt this quilt top. Not quilting pattern, but quilt method - as in, ideas on how to baste, and then manage this big and heavy quilt while quilting. Hope that makes sense! FYI: I use two 6ft X 3ft tables and a regular sewing machine to quilt. The second pic is this quilt spread out on those tables. I've quilted more than a couple King Size quilts, but this one is even bigger as I decided, oh so wisely, to add a 12" drop. It also has a lot of silk and flannel so it's heavier than a normal quilt. I made this monstrous thing years ago, but haven't quilted it because I'm stuck on how to start with eating this elephant!

Attachments

• 94624607_802944786901011_7072875194418724864_n.jpg
    94624607_802944786901011_7072875194418724864_n.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 14
  • photo 1 (1).JPG
    photo 1 (1).JPG
    256.9 KB · Views: 17
  • image (34).jpeg
    image (34).jpeg
    579.4 KB · Views: 16
Your quilt top is beautiful. Hand quilt... I have a gorgeous guilt every bit that size that is hand-quilted. The customer that made it for me never did a stitch of machine quilting on any quilt she ever made. I have a king I had quilted and I think they are easier to handle. It was my customer that convinced me to hand quilt my quilt and she was right.

No, I do not consider myself a quilter. I made two, a huge Dalia and a fan pattern all stitched by hand and that was the end to my quilting days.

Funny - I never considered hand quilting. I can see how that would make it easier to manage. What are your thoughts on basting the layers together? The only thing I can come up with is to roll it up nice and smooth and pin the layers together as it's unrolled.

Oh, and, as my quilting mentor says: If you've ever done just one quilt you're a quilter! Just sayin' :)

Your quilt tops are gorgeous!!! I have never actually done the quilting, just the piecing...and even that is a work in progress. Currently working on my first large project, it's been an off and on project since I started soaping almost full time lol. But it's for my friend who passed away that loved RED. I am about halfway done with the piecing, so I am not sure if I am going to go all in and learn how to hand quilt it. I might...I think it might be more of a tribute blanket if I learn how to do it.

Attachments

• 3DEC6C77-6D75-4CB6-9ACD-27075D6E2B4F.jpeg
    3DEC6C77-6D75-4CB6-9ACD-27075D6E2B4F.jpeg
    148.5 KB · Views: 10
Have you ever tie quilted? You can do that instead of basting and remove after hand stitched quilting or simple use only tie quilting if so desired. I have seen some log cabin quilts hand tied, although I do personally like a tighter quilting that you can get with hand stitching.

Have you ever tie quilted? You can do that instead of basting and remove after hand stitched quilting or simple use only tie quilting if so desired. I have seen some log cabin quilts hand tied, although I do personally like a tighter quilting that you can get with hand stitching.
That's a good thought, thank you! Yes, I like a tighter quilting too, but basting with tie quilting seems a reasonable.

Back