Any Micropeeling Organic/Natural Soap Recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalsignum

Reaction score
Hi guys.. I'm curious about micropeeling soap... can anyone enlighten me about that kind of soap recipe? and how it works... TIA

Hi guys.. I'm curious about micropeeling soap... can anyone enlighten me about that kind of soap recipe? and how it works... TIA

Are you looking for exfoliation or whitening? Generally the products used in micropeeling whitening bars (arbutin, kojic acid, glutathione, etc.) are not stable in lye-based soap.

But for exfoliation you can try things like oatmeal, paprika, poppy seeds, even ground up luffa. Depends on how rough you want it.

How about natural whitening? like papaya, calamansi, lemon, pineapple, apple... is it effective?

In my opinion no, because the lightening/peeling ingredient in these fruits are the acids which lye will turn into salts. It's not only ineffective - too much of these extracts or additives with the high acid content will use up an (unknown) portion of your lye causing you to have more leftover unsaponified oils in your soap than you calculated.

What you're looking to make is not lye based soap, but a syndet detergent bar. Google "Syndet bar recipe" and start from there. I think there are a number of threads here discussing it as well. The "real" effective whitening bars like they sell in Philippines and other South Asian countries are syndet bars with the ingredients I mentioned, often with extracts from those fruits as well.

I think if you're looking for whitening/brightening products, it's much better to develop your own lotion or serum as opposed to a wash-off product like bar soap. You can make your own Vitamin C serum with only vitamin C powder, glycerin and purified water. Vitamin C, arbutin and chemical exfoliants like BHA/AHA are very effective skin brighteners.

How about ill make my own Melt and pour... then ill melt it and add the whitening ingredients like lemon, lime, papaya, or calamansi? will it work?

Soap is a wash off product and isn't on the skin long enough to really do anything. As suggested you would be much better off making a leave on product.

How about ill make my own Melt and pour... then ill melt it and add the whitening ingredients like lemon, lime, papaya, or calamansi? will it work?

You can't put a lot of liquid additives in melt and pour, certainly not enough calamansi for example to transfer its astringent properties to the soap you're making. If you want to use those fruit ingredients in something that really works, I'd follow toxikon's advice and formulate a leave-on lotion containing them.

Mabuhay! :)

how about in a hot process? in which there will be no lye available in the "cooked stage" of the soap...

Last edited:
im persistent... LOL

how about in a hot process? in which there will be no lye available in the "cooked stage" of the soap...

Yeah, you're very maqulit! Haha

When lye reacts with oils, it forms a salt that's basic (alkaline) by nature. That's soap and it doesn't matter if it's cold process, hot process, or rebatch. You can't change its pH by adding something acidic, otherwise it wouldn't be soap anymore and this is exactly what will happen. Mixing it with the acidic additives enough to get the effect you want in hot process would probably turn it into a semi-liquid mess that will never solidify because it wont be soap anymore. It's called an exchange reaction, and you'll turn a lot of the fatty acid salts back into fatty acids again. I'm not a chemist, but it's something like that.

Since you have your heart set on making a solid whitening bar, do the syndet bars. I'm pretty sure it's the only way to get a solid effective whitening soap.

I suggest you grate some soap and put it in a bowl with lemon juice. Cover the bowl and let it sit for a couple of days. Then look at the result. Seriously, try it. It just melts.

Edit to correct spelling/entry errors (don't know what it was, but probably used my tablet or phone, neither likes this site very much.)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back