Any ideas?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdc1978

Reaction score
I have had the same wallet for at least half a decade now. My mother bought it for me, a Marc Jacobs wallet that COMPLETELY opens and lays flat if it is unzipped.

My mother hates the wallet because its old and beaten up (I still like it). Long story short, she bought me another wallet (Kate Spade) and its a lovely wallet, BUT, it doesn't open fully when its unzipped and for this reason only, I find it unusable. I spoke to my mother and I could tell her feelings were hurt so I told her I'd try it. But it just doesn't look like something that, in its current state, I'd want to use.

Do you think there is some type of professional person I could go to who could just sort of re-arrange the wallet? I think the thing that limits the amount it opens is a side panel that could just be cut and reconfigured.

I know that it would likely cost more than my mother paid for the wallet, but I HATE the idea of hurting her feelings, so I don't mind paying....I just don't even know who might be able to do this or what type of person I'd look for, so I thought I'd take my chances here.

Thanks!

I have had the same wallet for at least half a decade now. My mother bought it for me, a Marc Jacobs wallet that COMPLETELY opens and lays flat if it is unzipped.

My mother hates the wallet because its old and beaten up (I still like it). Long story short, she bought me another wallet (Kate Spade) and its a lovely wallet, BUT, it doesn't open fully when its unzipped and for this reason only, I find it unusable. I spoke to my mother and I could tell her feelings were hurt so I told her I'd try it. But it just doesn't look like something that, in its current state, I'd want to use.

Do you think there is some type of professional person I could go to who could just sort of re-arrange the wallet? I think the thing that limits the amount it opens is a side panel that could just be cut and reconfigured.

I know that it would likely cost more than my mother paid for the wallet, but I HATE the idea of hurting her feelings, so I don't mind paying....I just don't even know who might be able to do this or what type of person I'd look for, so I thought I'd take my chances here.

Thanks!

Any Cobbler will be able to do it. However, it will probably cost you more than the value of the wallet!

Bedos leatherworks could fix it up for you. Steve has a youtube channel, I've watched a lot of his stuff and he is good.
It will likely be spendy, you could email pics and maybe a video of the issue and get a quote.

http://leatherrepair.com/
Any Cobbler will be able to do it. However, it will probably cost you more than the value of the wallet!

Thank you both! I really had no idea who would even do something like this and now I have a profession AND an exact person!

However, it will probably cost you more than the value of the wallet!

Back in the early 90s I bought this beautiful dress on sale for $35; it looked like a 2-piece...navy blue 'coat' over white 'dress'. The dickie had lace and the bottom was pleated. I got stupid...decided that since I had successfully done it many times before with 'dry clean only' items to wash Gentle, Cold Water. The navy blue bled onto the lace, the pleating was destroyed. I took the dress to a recommended dry cleaner...it cost my $75 to have my stupidity repaired. The reason it was so expensive was that the lace and the skirt had to removed, the lace special bleached and skirt repleated and everything put back together.

Most people would have simply tossed the dress and chalked it up to lesson learned, but I really liked the dress and ended up wearing for another 10 years.

I still regret not getting a particular pair of boots repaired. I was about 16 and I loved those boots... I even have a sketch of them somewhere. I wore them so much the insole broke down and I was walking on the mesh filler in the heel. Brought them to a repair place and he refused on the basis that it would cost more than the boots were worth. They ended up getting thrown out but I still wish from time to time that I had stood my ground and insisted. I never found a pair since that I liked so much.

I had a suede pair of pants I love when I was in my twenties reworked because I lost weight and I loved those pants, it cost me more than the original pants but I never regretted the cost I spent having a tailor re-work the pants.

I say go for it out of respect for your mom, you will not regret it if you can afford it.

Do you have any photos of the wallet showing the problem you're having with it? If we could see pictures of the issue, I might not be able to do the work to fix the problem, but I (or other readers) might be able to help you decide if fixing it is a reasonable idea.

Back in the early 90s I bought this beautiful dress on sale for $35; it looked like a 2-piece...navy blue 'coat' over white 'dress'. The dickie had lace and the bottom was pleated. I got stupid...decided that since I had successfully done it many times before with 'dry clean only' items to wash Gentle, Cold Water. The navy blue bled onto the lace, the pleating was destroyed. I took the dress to a recommended dry cleaner...it cost my $75 to have my stupidity repaired. The reason it was so expensive was that the lace and the skirt had to removed, the lace special bleached and skirt repleated and everything put back together.

Most people would have simply tossed the dress and chalked it up to lesson learned, but I really liked the dress and ended up wearing for another 10 years.
ha ha, I love it!

Back in the day, WAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY back, I used to shop at Forever 21. I promise you it cost more to dry clean the shirts than they actually cost. But I really liked how a few of them looked and fit

And honestly, over 10 years thats what, like $10 a year, a great deal!

Do you have any photos of the wallet showing the problem you're having with it? If we could see pictures of the issue, I might not be able to do the work to fix the problem, but I (or other readers) might be able to help you decide if fixing it is a reasonable idea.
OMG, thats a perfect idea. Thank you, I should have thought of that!

In the blue is what I current have - the bane of my mothers existence. - BUT it opens and lays flat, which I adore!

The black is what she purchased for me, and I think the picture gives a good idea of what the problem is. And I think the culprit is the panel on the side.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 20210621_205754.jpg
    20210621_205754.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 20210621_205735.jpg
    20210621_205735.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210621_205634.jpg
    20210621_205634.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 14
  • 20210621_205617.jpg
    20210621_205617.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 11
I had a suede pair of pants I love when I was in my twenties reworked because I lost weight and I loved those pants, it cost me more than the original pants but I never regretted the cost I spent having a tailor re-work the pants.

I say go for it out of respect for your mom, you will not regret it if you can afford it.

I totally agree. Money is amazing, but at the end of the day, you cannot take it with you. And I know you looked SMOKIN' in those pants, and those memories last a lifetime!

You're right about my mom, thank you.

Back