Any idea why my ombre soap didn't ombre?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A Vampire

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
EDIT: I made a second batch using the same technique and it came out much better! I can't be sure, but I think my first attempt below didn't have enough batter. I doubled my recipe and it filled the mold out much better.

A week ago I came up with a soaping challenge to theme soaps to the characters of my favorite book series. For one of them I wanted to make a nice ombre soap. I watched some YouTube tutorials using a long and skinny mold elevated on one of the longest sides. I used my own recipe and colors but thought I did the elevating and pouring as shown. I just cut my soap and it doesn't seem as ombre as the tutorials, especially on that last pic with a hard strip of color. Any suggestions? The initial tutorial I was trying to follow was this one. I've also attached some pictures of one of my cut bars.
soap4.jpg
soap2.jpg
soap3.jpg
soap1.jpg

Last edited:
It ombre'd just fine -- the second and third photos are proof of that.

The first and last photos show where you went wrong. In the first pic, it's pretty clear the first and last color were the only ones that reached the left hand side (the side shown in the 4th pic). Your intermediate colors only got maybe 3/4ths of the way to that side.

See the triangular section on the right hand side in the 1st pic? Those are your intermediate colors. See how they don't reach the left hand side of the soap in that same pic?

In other words, you're on the right track, just pay more attention to how and where the soap is flowing.

It ombre'd just fine -- the second and third photos are proof of that.

The first and last photos show where you went wrong. In the first pic, it's pretty clear the first and last color were the only ones that reached the left hand side (the side shown in the 4th pic). Your intermediate colors only got maybe 3/4ths of the way to that side.

See the triangular section on the right hand side in the 1st pic? Those are your intermediate colors. See how they don't reach the left hand side of the soap in that same pic?

In other words, you're on the right track, just pay more attention to how and where the soap is flowing.

Thank you so much for the insightful answer. I'll definitely focus more on my flow when doing gradients :)

Latest posts

Back