Any idea what would have caused this?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost any lye soap will turn to snot like that if it sits in water long enough. That looks like a oat bar that sat in water for a couple day.

This snot is why you can't dissolve a bar of lye soap to make a liquid, it just goes gross.

If this is your sister holding that bar, tell her to use a soap dish that drains well and allows to soap to thoroughly dry between uses.

soap1.jpg
Apparently there are no oats in it but it has a bubbly texture - weird

Attachments

• soap.jpg
    soap.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 40
This snot is why you can't dissolve a bar of lye soap to make a liquid, it just goes gross.
OT: but there is a local soapmaker who does just that and sells it as hand soap. You could not pay me to use it, much less give up my own money for it.

Back on Topic: I agree, possibly a higher oleic recipe as well, which contributes to the snottiness. I wonder if part of the bubbly texture is simply lather that allowed to dry? I'm not really sure.

OT: but there is a local soapmaker who does just that and sells it as hand soap. You could not pay me to use it, much less give up my own money for it.

Back on Topic: I agree, possibly a higher oleic recipe as well, which contributes to the snottiness. I wonder if part of the bubbly texture is simply lather that allowed to dry? I'm not really sure.

I tried it early in my soap making journey. Started as a half a bar in a few ounces of water, by the time I stopped messing with it, I was up to a gallon of water and it was still a giant blob of snot.
I kept it under my sink for months, adding more water every few weeks. Was pretty amazing to see the transformation but I wouldn't use it either.

Apparently there are no oats in it but it has a bubbly texture - weird

Could just be from the surface absorbing water unevenly.
Just for the fun of it, take a small piece of your soap and cover it with water for a few days. You'll see how lye soap behaves in water, it really is pretty amazing.

Could the texture be from a hot process method gone wrong?
I've done plenty of HP soap, some of which didn't go quite as planned, but have never had anything like this snotty mess. I'd have to say that it was sitting in water, but if she is caring for it properly then I haven't a clue. I've used oats in soap, both whole oats and ground oats and it's never looked like that. I have not used honey in soap so don't know how it would HP.

I'm thinking a high oleic soap as well due to the stringy sticky nature of the goo. That's assuming this is basically soap -- there isn't some other additive in there that's causing this to happen. A soap that's lower in oleic acid gets mushy and goopy when soaked in water, but it is much less likely to be stringy and gelatinous like this one is.

I'm, um, er, thinking a green faced emoticon is also a good choice for my reaction to this soap. Ewwwww.

Latest posts

Back