Any graphics people here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you print, how do you 'select' panetone? Is it an option or do you have to buy special ink or something? I've never heard of that.
Pantone colors are inks that professional printers can get. To my knowledge they are not available for home printers. But I can’t see any reason why they couldn’t be made for home printers! That would be wonderful, and I would be first in line!!!!!!

Pantone colors are inks that professional printers can get. To my knowledge they are not available for home printers. But I can’t see any reason why they couldn’t be made for home printers! That would be wonderful, and I would be first in line!!!!!!

Me too!

yup, use Panatone colors. If I remember correctly, you can select them in PSP.
Also, your monitor probably needs calibrated. When you go to Walmart or Costco and look at a bunch of tv's each one will vary slightly, Same with computer monitors.
Or, just use Panatone colors and have a sample printed.

If you're going to have them printed professionally, check with your printer. Some printers want the files in RGB, some want CMYK. Pantone colours are CMYK and they are generally used in press work. A lot of printing "presses" these days are digital and no longer use ink but toner. Some digital presses are RGB (3 colour process) and some are CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, and black - 4 colour process).

Depending on the file type, the colours will look quite different.

I’m back. Probably more than you ever wanted to know.
If you go to your local traditional printer, he will do the art for you on his computer or you can supply it from your computer. If you do the art yourself, ask how he wants it presented to him-/RGB or CMYK. Most printers will want the art in the program you created it in. Tell him what program you are using. Be sure it’s a mainstream program, not “Fido Make Art.” Give him that original file. The reason for this is that in order to send the file to press, there are some things the print person has to do to make it compatible with the machines on his end. Let him do that part. When your job gets to the print queue, it is ready to go—and he wants to get it done and move on. BUT Y-O-U need to see a proof print -BEFORE he runs your 3 million copies. You Must make yourself available to run to the printer to ok/or not ok the proof print. Otherwise you will pay for 3 million possibly useless prints!! Be very pushy about having a proof print to see before the print run. The same is true if you are just going to your local digital printer or Kinkos.
It can get complicated. What if you want 1000 boxes printed on by a traditional printer, stationary and envelopes printed at Kinkos, 2000 sticky labels printed in China, all with your puce green perfect logo? Good luck. See if you can get a deal with your local printer. Even if you choose to use a pantene color on the boxes, the same printer will be much better able to know what you want on the other things even if they are printed without Pantone ink on digital printers. I’m trying to help those of you who are actually trying for a professional look. Sorry about wading into the weeds. So many great soapers out there!

I used the color code for the text. This is the same code that she says the turtle is. Its not, obviously.

I know the easy answer would be to make it how i like, but if we are going to be sending files back and forth its going to be a problem.

Who is going to be printing the work?

get a physical swatch for the colour you like from the person doing the physical printing, using the printer they will be using
if you see the colour you want in the swatch, get the (RGB or CMYK) numbers for the swatch
with your experience in paintshop you will be able to load the numbers as a custom colour in your palette

even if it looks different on your, or your sisters, screen during the design phase, this will not matter as the final print will be right

Don’t be too frustrated if you have to do some testing, and your printer artist can help you match your swatch. It might take some tweaking. Look for a practical, less expensive option that will be easy to reproduce again somewhere else. That’s why so many small business logos are simple colors like red and black!

I’m back. Probably more than you ever wanted to know.
If you go to your local traditional printer, he will do the art for you on his computer or you can supply it from your computer. If you do the art yourself, ask how he wants it presented to him-/RGB or CMYK. Most printers will want the art in the program you created it in. Tell him what program you are using. Be sure it’s a mainstream program, not “Fido Make Art.” Give him that original file. The reason for this is that in order to send the file to press, there are some things the print person has to do to make it compatible with the machines on his end. Let him do that part. When your job gets to the print queue, it is ready to go—and he wants to get it done and move on. BUT Y-O-U need to see a proof print -BEFORE he runs your 3 million copies. You Must make yourself available to run to the printer to ok/or not ok the proof print. Otherwise you will pay for 3 million possibly useless prints!! Be very pushy about having a proof print to see before the print run. The same is true if you are just going to your local digital printer or Kinkos.
It can get complicated. What if you want 1000 boxes printed on by a traditional printer, stationary and envelopes printed at Kinkos, 2000 sticky labels printed in China, all with your puce green perfect logo? Good luck. See if you can get a deal with your local printer. Even if you choose to use a pantene color on the boxes, the same printer will be much better able to know what you want on the other things even if they are printed without Pantone ink on digital printers. I’m trying to help those of you who are actually trying for a professional look. Sorry about wading into the weeds. So many great soapers out there!

I beg to differ on one or two points. Because most people do not have the programs that printers use, many, if not most printers, will ask for a print ready pdf that includes bleed and crop (cut) marks. They have programs they can import the pdf into and work with files that way, as needed. Most people cannot afford the Adobe programs but almost all design programs available can export files to pdf. Ask before you send a native file from whatever program you're using; they may not be able to work with your files (i.e. we don't accept MS Publisher files AT ALL!).

Any reputable printer will insist you see and approve a proof before they'll go ahead and print your file. I work in a print shop and we send digital proofs out on 98% of orders. On some orders, we insist the customer see a printed proof and on any order, a customer is more than welcome to ask for a printed proof.

You are correct, though, about colour matching to something you've had printed elsewhere; it's next to impossible. Heck, there are times we have issues matching colour to something we printed previously because, believe it or not, even the weather can affect how the colours come out from one time to the next.

It looks blue to me.

A few notes about your labels:

- You need to list weight in ounces/grams...do not say ‘approximate’ or ‘minimum’

- Looking at your ingredient list, I don’t see Water (or other liquid) and Sodium Hydroxide.

I beg to differ on one or two points. Because most people do not have the programs that printers use, many, if not most printers, will ask for a print ready pdf that includes bleed and crop (cut) marks. They have programs they can import the pdf into and work with files that way, as needed. Most people cannot afford the Adobe programs but almost all design programs available can export files to pdf. Ask before you send a native file from whatever program you're using; they may not be able to work with your files (i.e. we don't accept MS Publisher files AT ALL!).

Any reputable printer will insist you see and approve a proof before they'll go ahead and print your file. I work in a print shop and we send digital proofs out on 98% of orders. On some orders, we insist the customer see a printed proof and on any order, a customer is more than welcome to ask for a printed proof.

You are correct, though, about colour matching to something you've had printed elsewhere; it's next to impossible. Heck, there are times we have issues matching colour to something we printed previously because, believe it or not, even the weather can affect how the colours come out from one time to the next.
Thanks for your reply! I’ve been retired for almost 15 years. I worked at a time when all the digital environments were new. Great to have your input here. It really helps folks. I used Page Maker, Quark, Corel, in the early days then Illustrator and Photoshop. It’s much better nowadays! Thanks again!

Back