Any graphics people here?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My sister is a graphic arts/design pro. She has had her biz for about 20 years. A couple of weeks ago she sent me a logo via text msg to look at. I love it (although I think I would love anything right now that is called MY logo LOL).

What she sent me was what looked to me like a seafoam green color. I LOVE the color. I know she is super busy right now running her business out of her house, and now having the boys homeschooling due to covid, so I try not to be so needy. She is really stressed with the whole thing.

Anyway, she is supposed to be doing all of my stuff (logos, packaging, etc.). I am not ready to sell yet by any means, but I also don't want to get to that point and not be ready. Not to bother her, I started designing some stuff myself. I am pretty fluent in paint shop pro, or used to be from a long time ago. I feel like I am re-learning it. But its a start.

I loaded her logo into psp and it went from looking like a nice seafoam color, to blue. I took a picture side by side: my computer vs my phone. Computer is windows, phone and tablet are iphone/ipad. The iphone is green, the computer is blue. She says that my computer settings are off. I loaded the side by side pic and the phone is correct, but the computer is blue LOL. These are the same picture now both on my computer.

So I asked her to email me the file, the file looks blue LOL. I then asked her to send me the actual color code. When I plug the numbers into psp, it looks like I wanted it...seafoam green.

She says noooo...it's blue LOL. I am at a loss. I am getting frustrated. Am I color blind?

Attachments

• IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    419.9 KB · Views: 64
I don't see seafoam green on either and I'm not colour blind. The phone has a more greyish cast to it while the desk top is a fairly true blue. That's what I'm seeing anyway.

I agree with @SPowers. If you do want a seafoam blue, ask your sister to add a little green. As a printer, I should warn you, though, that some colours, seafoam included, are very difficult to replicate consistently if they're being printed digitally, as most things are these days. (I have to warn my customers about this regularly.)

I agree with SPowers I see a grayish cast not seafoam green. The blue is very pretty blue and I am very good with colors. Seafoam Green is a definite green with some blue, gray sometimes black in varying shades. With home printers take a lot of tweaking, I find the easiest way is to print your printers color list, sorry I do not remember the terminology, in order to match the color you want, even then I never find it perfect. This is the CMYK for Seafoam Green 0.374 0.00 0.18 0.19 RGB 147 2.33 190. Misschief would have the best knowledge of working for a printer when it comes to pro printing.

Some things to consider:
variation among monitors, even the SAME brand and model. I have two monitors that are identical brand and model and one displays colors sliggghtly differently.

and perhaps more likely: blue light settings. Many devices now automatically shift/adjust blue light throughout the day so you're not being inundated with blue light at 9pm when your brain needs to start producing melatonin.
So your screen takes on a slightly reddish cast that you may not even notice (it should be a gradual shift).
I can't tell you how many times I've looked at a picture on my phone or computer and thought it looked "off" and then realized that I had blue light adjustment toggled on.

So double check "night light"/"blue light" settings on ALL of the devices -ipad, phone, computer, even the monitor itself (my fancy new work monitor has a blue light adjustment independent of the computer) and then compare colors.
On my screens, with blue light settings OFF, I see the image on the left as slightly muted blue with lighter blue-grey shell that MIGHT have a greenish cast, and the image on the right as a a darker blue with the shell a lighter blue but no grey/green cast.
On my screens with blue light setting on, I see about the same but the shell on the left is more GREY with NO green.

Tested across multiple screens, it's pretty similar. I did see a slightly more teal/green blue (SLIGHTLY) effect on my Macbook and my Android screens, but never a true seafoam.

ETA: can you give us the color code? I'm curious.

My sister is a graphic arts/design pro. She has had her biz for about 20 years. A couple of weeks ago she sent me a logo via text msg to look at. I love it (although I think I would love anything right now that is called MY logo LOL).

What she sent me was what looked to me like a seafoam green color. I LOVE the color. I know she is super busy right now running her business out of her house, and now having the boys homeschooling due to covid, so I try not to be so needy. She is really stressed with the whole thing.

Anyway, she is supposed to be doing all of my stuff (logos, packaging, etc.). I am not ready to sell yet by any means, but I also don't want to get to that point and not be ready. Not to bother her, I started designing some stuff myself. I am pretty fluent in paint shop pro, or used to be from a long time ago. I feel like I am re-learning it. But its a start.

I loaded her logo into psp and it went from looking like a nice seafoam color, to blue. I took a picture side by side: my computer vs my phone. Computer is windows, phone and tablet are iphone/ipad. The iphone is green, the computer is blue. She says that my computer settings are off. I loaded the side by side pic and the phone is correct, but the computer is blue LOL. These are the same picture now both on my computer.

So I asked her to email me the file, the file looks blue LOL. I then asked her to send me the actual color code. When I plug the numbers into psp, it looks like I wanted it...seafoam green.

She says noooo...it's blue LOL. I am at a loss. I am getting frustrated. Am I color blind?
Looks blue to me 🤷🏼‍♀️

Looks like turquoise to me on the above post, not sure what you call sea foam green anyway. The turtle photo is definately blue.

Looks like turquoise to me too... seafoam is more green than blue I think. This is what I think of when I hear seafoam green.

Attachments

• seafoam_green_1200x1200.jpg
    seafoam_green_1200x1200.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 24
Is her monitor calibrated? I used to print vinyl decals so I purchased a device (not cheap at all) to calibrate my monitors so I was producing the correct color that was on my screens. The CYMK code produces a seafoam green colour for me. I'm checked it in Photoshop.

Looks like turquoise to me too... seafoam is more green than blue I think. This is what I think of when I hear seafoam green.
That looks like a mint green to me. Everyone see' s colour a different way and what they call it is another thing altogether. I'm a florist, so what I call one colour you might call it something else.

After working in the fashion industry for some years, as well as In publishing, I know well color struggles. While each color on the computer has a color number, each program, each monitor, each computer, interprets it differently. Then God forbid, get color printers involved!!!!! Designers, bosses, editors, customers, to a one could not “get it”, no matter my struggles to explain. For computers colors are RGB (red, green, blur), printing companies print color in CMYK (cyan, magenta, yellow, black) inks. Every time your project passes through machines, each machine will interpret it differently!! So frustrating! That’s why the concept of “pleasing color” came up in printing. Basically, if it’s pleasing it’s acceptable. BUT there Is a SOLUTION to this dilemma! When your materials get printed, only select PANTONE colors! There is even a similar system for fabrics!! Pantone colors are inks that Match the Pantone Color Selector Book! ALL printers have them! There are hundreds of colors to choose from! Now you get exactly the color you want because that is the color of the ink! Yes it’s more expensive but that’s how businesses get the same logo colors no matter what it is on. CMYK printing is cheaper because the printer is trying his best to make your color using cyan, magenta, yellow and black inks. Same with your home printers.
Your choice: pleasing color (CMYK) or precise color (Pantone). You can print your logo in Pantone ink, then the rest of the label in CMYK black, for example.
It just depends upon how picky you are about the color. Ex: If you have a turquoise logo, you might get by with CMYK (cyan is a turquoise color) and save some money. But if your logo is Puce Green, you might prefer to pick out the Puce color you want from the pantone book because the CMYK interpretation might be off a bit. Don’t get frustrated—just speak with your printer person. Start with a local printer. If you are printing materials at home, you are limited to however your printer interprets the color which is chosen by your art software, like Photoshop. Yes the colors have numbers in Photoshop to choose from, but any two monitors will interpret them differently. Then if you print it on your home printer, the home printer will further interpret it differently. That’s why the colors shift. It’s no one’s fault—-it’s machines!! Now you can have a precise logo of ten Pantone colors, limited only by the color ink holding trays your professional printer has, but for a little business that is super costly. So consider a simple pleasing color and wait till your business is as big as Proctor and Gamble before getting too fussy! I hope this helps understand the color conundrum!

Last edited:
I used the color code for the text. This is the same code that she says the turtle is. Its not, obviously.

I know the easy answer would be to make it how i like, but if we are going to be sending files back and forth its going to be a problem.

Attachments

• CEACEDED-FB13-43B5-B633-8E3BE4B897D3.jpeg
    CEACEDED-FB13-43B5-B633-8E3BE4B897D3.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 16
When you print, how do you 'select' panetone? Is it an option or do you have to buy special ink or something? I've never heard of that.

I would call the first picture teal, however, can she not change the color of the turtle if you prefer that specific color? Or even you could probably get GIMP or Inkscape and change the color yourself.

Latest posts

Back