Any feedback for my facial soap recipe?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My brain is a little fuzzy (tired), but here's my recollection: Essential oils do not contain triglycerides (if that's the correct word) unless they've been adulterated/diluted with oil, so they do not have a sap value.
I just learned something new! Thanks :)

An interesting recipe to say the least! I am firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle regarding soap recipes, much like Uncle Jon does on YouTube.
You can reach the same qualities of cleansing, sudsing, lather creaminess, INS factor, etc. by just using three oils, maybe four at the most.
However, each to their own as the saying goes.

An interesting recipe to say the least! I am firm believer in the K.I.S.S. principle regarding soap recipes, much like Uncle Jon does on YouTube.
You can reach the same qualities of cleansing, sudsing, lather creaminess, INS factor, etc. by just using three oils, maybe four at the most.
However, each to their own as the saying goes.
yeah no I totally get that. It seems like a waste, especially if you’re selling the soap. I just had to look up Uncle Jon and wowww he seems so cool! and very knowledgeable lol I totally just subscribed to his page. I really liked what he had to say in his video about different oils.
I think I’m just curious because at the end of the day, there hasn’t been enough research or any at all that I’ve found to measure the effectiveness of some of the more exotic oils, especially the ones that have been used in medicine in soap. so the experience for me was worth the money. I sell a dragons blood soap I made with the resin and rosehips oil on my site for 15$ and a handful of people messaged me saying some type of irritation or issue went away so I got curious...I made a face butter with the cocoa butter, rosehip, sacha inchi oil, and vitamin e and a couple other things to use on my face with this soap. I have hyperpigmentation and acne scars and just wanted to see if I added a buttload of all the oils said to aid with that together what would happen... if it works it’ll end up being cheaper than the 800$ prescription for retinol my derm gave me😭 anyways if anyone is interested in my results skin wise let me know, I’ll post about it

yeah no I totally get that. It seems like a waste, especially if you’re selling the soap. I just had to look up Uncle Jon and wowww he seems so cool! and very knowledgeable lol I totally just subscribed to his page. I really liked what he had to say in his video about different oils.
I think I’m just curious because at the end of the day, there hasn’t been enough research or any at all that I’ve found to measure the effectiveness of some of the more exotic oils, especially the ones that have been used in medicine in soap. so the experience for me was worth the money. I sell a dragons blood soap I made with the resin and rosehips oil on my site for 15$ and a handful of people messaged me saying some type of irritation or issue went away so I got curious...I made a face butter with the cocoa butter, rosehip, sacha inchi oil, and vitamin e and a couple other things to use on my face with this soap. I have hyperpigmentation and acne scars and just wanted to see if I added a buttload of all the oils said to aid with that together what would happen... if it works it’ll end up being cheaper than the 800$ prescription for retinol my derm gave me😭 anyways if anyone is interested in my results skin wise let me know, I’ll post about it
I suggest you check out the YT channel BeautyWithin. They go into detail with skin care product tips and recommendations and I found it helpful for finding products that aren't raping my wallet BUT are effective with handling my skin concerns,

Yes, please! I'm interested in the results skin-wise. I'm also working on some body butters and trying make one for the face. I know a lot of people blowing huge amounts of money on what a dermatologist recommends, but my handmade stuff works a lot better. Do you by chance have any before and after picks?

Just to be clear, this is a "face butter," correct? Not a face soap? If it's a butter, would you mind creating a new thread? This one is specifically for face soaps.

Thanks!

@GemstonePony I did some research, and you're correct. Essential Oils do not contain triglycerides. They're composed of other types of chemical groups, terpenes, esters, aldehydes, etc.

I did, however, go through my notes and looked at some of my first soap attempts. I noticed that some of the times, when I went crazy with the EOs, (1 ounce is good, so 3 must be better!) the resulting soap was softer. Even after letting it cure for over 8 weeks, the soap felt like I could smoosh it with my hand. So I guess there is an upper limit to the amount of EOs you can add to your mix, but it doesn't look like you need to adjust your superfat value too much when adding true essential oils.

So I guess there is an upper limit to the amount of EOs you can add to your mix, but it doesn't look like you need to adjust your superfat value too much when adding true essential oils.
I use MMS Fragrance Calc to determine how much to add. WSP & Bramble Berry also have one.

But there's also safety issues to consider besides just how much to add. Read more:
ESSENTIAL OILS EDUCATION

@GemstonePony I did some research, and you're correct. Essential Oils do not contain triglycerides. They're composed of other types of chemical groups, terpenes, esters, aldehydes, etc.

I did, however, go through my notes and looked at some of my first soap attempts. I noticed that some of the times, when I went crazy with the EOs, (1 ounce is good, so 3 must be better!) the resulting soap was softer. Even after letting it cure for over 8 weeks, the soap felt like I could smoosh it with my hand. So I guess there is an upper limit to the amount of EOs you can add to your mix, but it doesn't look like you need to adjust your superfat value too much when adding true essential oils.
Because each essential oil contains different compounds, each has a different safe usage rate. Lavender EO is generally safe at 6%, whereas some of the "hotter" oils can be unsafe even under 1%. It is so important not to guess about that, since EOs can cause skin burns, eye damage, and allergic reactions. I like to use EOCalc.com for finding safe usage rates, but if an oil is not listed there, I turn to my trusted Essential Oil Safety book by Tisserand and Young, as well as HopewellOils.com.

I’m like you, Zany - I use multiple sources bc it seems like none of them have all the info needed about EOs. Plus, I like learning and that site is organized in a way that makes it easy for me to follow.

Back