Any feedback about this CO?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that price right? Nutiva is usually extremely expensive - so grab it! It's the brand I often buy to cook with and is usually pearly white and simply gorgeous.

ETA: I get food grade but cheap looking co from Big Lots for 12 bucks a gallon. There's nothing wrong with it but I am disappointed with its yellow tinged color. A gallon of Nutiva
at Costco in S CA. was about 42 dollars last time I DIDN'T buy it.

Last edited:
Thanks for that link. If I made lots of soap I'd definitely jump on that as the price is better than Amazon. However, I am actually just about to run out of my one gallon Snappy and was looking to try something different. I make about 10 - 12 batches per year and I use less CO in my recipe than what is commonly used so one gallon is perfect for me.

Is that price right? Nutiva is usually extremely expensive - so grab it! It's the brand I often buy to cook with and is usually pearly white and simply gorgeous.

ETA: I get food grade but cheap looking co from Big Lots for 12 bucks a gallon. There's nothing wrong with it but I am disappointed with its yellow tinged color. A gallon of Nutiva
at Costco in S CA. was about 42 dollars last time I DIDN'T buy it.

Here, the local Winco has the Better Body CO at $9.98(usually $11 something) 56 oz /1.75qt /1.6L
The Big Lots Butcher Boy CO 60 oz container $7.50 They are the exact same container. The fill line on the Butcher Boy is nearly to the top and the Better Body is just below the neck of the jar. Both are non GMO certified.

My granddaughter has a peanut allergy, the Nutiva oil says it's bottled in a facility that also bottles peanut oil, anyone know if any peanut cross contamination would survive the soaping process?

Thanks for that link. If I made lots of soap I'd definitely jump on that as the price is better than Amazon. However, I am actually just about to run out of my one gallon Snappy and was looking to try something different. I make about 10 - 12 batches per year and I use less CO in my recipe than what is commonly used so one gallon is perfect for me.

This is just my opinion, FWIW, but any time I see a price on Amazon that seems too good to be true, I take a long, hard look at the seller, assuming it is not Amazon or the original manufacturer.

Scooter

My granddaughter has a peanut allergy, the Nutiva oil says it's bottled in a facility that also bottles peanut oil, anyone know if any peanut cross contamination would survive the soaping process?

I believe any potential peanut proteins that could have contaminated the product would survive saponification.

If you were to risk it, refined oil may be better for consideration. I don't want to encourage such a risk but I also have to note that for a child with tree nut allergies, my daughter has been fine with my soaps that do NOT contain virgin CO and some regular commercial brands that also have that oil (I highly doubt a company is going to use virgin CO for a mass produced line of soap).

Still, I don't like taking such risks at the expense of anyone, especially a child. I know some of the pain of having an allergy flair-up (cured pork products have made me break out in itchy hives after eating them) so I definitely don't want that for your grandbaby.

Arimara, it's not worth the risk. I know chances are pretty low of cross contamination but it's on the label so I'm guessing it's possible. She doesn't have any tree nut allergies so far, just peanut. This is the first time I've seen a cross contamination warning on an oil label like that.

I can certainly see how cross contact could actually occur in the case of a large manufacturing company that produces multiple types of oils. All it takes is a tiny bit of peanut protein to be overlooked on the equipment when they start processing the coconut (or other oil).

I see cross contact all the time in restaurants. People without these types of issues often don't even think of it, and even when they learn about it, often don't make permanent changes of habitual activity. (Such as using a knife to cut meat, then using the same knife to cut bread. - just one example of cross contact.)

But large manufacturing companies not only depend on huge numbers of people to follow through on the training but also lots of moving parts that need to be thoroughly cleaned between uses in order to avoid or eliminate cross-contact.

Back