Any experience with Fluorouracil topical cream (brand names Efudex, Carac, Fluoroplex)?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Soap Peeps,
Just checking to see if you or any loved ones have experienced using this cream which is a chemotherapy to prevent skin cancers? I'm an old, blue-eyed Norski Scandahoovian, ya' you betcha, and I want to be clear that I do NOT have any current skin cancers -- my dermatologist has prescribed this as a prevention and to apply it to my face and scalp. I'm just wondering if the bath and body product community has had experience with this medication and advice on homemade remedies. I'm kinda a scary cat and a total wimp about pain but I do not want sympathy, just straight up advice or recommendations. Thanks!

Mr. Oop has had to use this, as has one of my dear girlfriends. It works like a high-powered chemical peel, except that it leaves healthy tissue alone, and goes right to the precancerous or cancerous cells, causing them to turn shiny red/raw, and then peel off.

Depending on how much of your skin is treated, you may or may not feel embarrassed to go out in public.

Mr. Oop, who has fair European skin and green eyes, had especially raw spots where his C-PAP mask sits on his face. He also had peeling blotches elsewhere on his face and ears, as a result of years of working in construction, plus lots of hiking, kayaking, and beach time.

My other sweet friend (also a blond-blue-eyed Norski) also lives at the beach and gets way too much sun for one with such Northern heritage. During her treatment, she was just one red, peeling mass for about three weeks. She pretty much did not leave the house during that time, and she cried because the youngest grandchild was scared to look at her. I reassured her that it didn't look that bad, but I probably wasn't the best objective judge of that, since I love her no matter how her face looks.

Come to think of it, I told Mr. Oop the same thing, and he wasn't comforted, either. There was a LOT of redness and peeling! But once it was over, their skin looked amazing. They do have to be uber-religious about using sunscreen now, since the new skin is quite sensitive to sunlight. Both are happy that they did it. I'm sure you will be, too!

I should clarify that they really weren’t in any physical pain. They did have short-term emotional distress over “looking horrible” as Mr Oop said.

I honestly didn’t think it was that bad - truly. To me, they looked like they had bad sunburns. They could have played it off by telling whoppers about some fantastic island vacation, or perhaps an African safari. You got this, Z!

@Servant4Christ , too funny. I just read the alert that you liked my post above. I am literally about to go to my dermatologist appointment! I came through the experience fine. My appearance was pretty bad so I wore a cap at work all day. It did get pretty uncomfortable so am hoping that was the first and last time. My skin is really healthy now and I'm thankful for that.

@Servant4Christ , too funny. I just read the alert that you liked my post above. I am literally about to go to my dermatologist appointment! I came through the experience fine. My appearance was pretty bad so I wore a cap at work all day. It did get pretty uncomfortable so am hoping that was the first and last time. My skin is really healthy now and I'm thankful for that.
I've had family go through this with great success.

Last edited:
Back