any advice on what may have gone wrong

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

em79

Reaction score
Hi guys im back with another problem with my soap making adventures. LOL each time i make a batch i think to myself this is the winner and then flop lol
ok so heres the thing i downloaded Soapcalc pro on my phone so i could have easier access to a calc at all times i chucked in these
ingredients

225g coconut
500g Olive
300g Palm

it gave me water at 389.50
lye 139.41
i also added tussah silk (not sure if that's gonna make a difference)
and 15ml of Lavender EO

it looked really nice upon molding but I've unmoulded it and its fairly sticky and fairly moist . should i wait another 24 hours and see if it will harden or do you think the water content was too high and this will be a soft bar ?

any advice is great advice please

Sounds like you unmolded too soon. Give it more time before you cut, the soap will dry in time and get hard. You might want to try less water next time, I generally use 2 part water to 1 part lye.

yes i thought the water was a bit high and it was my first time using soap calc i was usually using The Sage calc and this soap calc i downloaded wanted me to put in the water as % of oils and Super fat percentage so i was a bit lost i left it as is and it was 38% water and 8% super fat . So can u explain that part for me ?

The water seems right for 38% which is normal and shouldn't make it unusually soft. I too now like 2 to 1 when not doing intricate designs, but for more
Time to work I like 38%.
How long did u let it sit? Did it gel?

ok this was HP so i didnt cover it or anything i just threw it in the loaf mould and made a big mess with the lavender flowers on top and on the floor and went to bed . I think im gonna let it sit a little longer and see what happens but i had this happen before with one of my first recipes and it never hardened sadly

I use soap cal pro too but I don't have problem but I use hot process, I barely use cold process. I saw with soap queen she unmolded her soap about 48 to 72 hours.

Latest posts

Back