Anxiety lol

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anybody else get serious anxiety before starting to mix your lye into oils? Its like when you get to that point, theres no turning back and you need to keep going.

Guess im ocd. I keep checking the recipe, making sure i didnt forget anything. Got all my containers and colors in order.

its like the point of no return lol. Thats where i am right now
Me, I do! It gets better. Really preparing all the ingredients, checking the recipe list, lining things up, then when I’m ready I usually take a break, remind myself it’ll turn out great, and then try to relax and enjoy it. I’m on batch #25 and it’s much better, but still kind of intense. It’s all worth it for when I get to cut though!!! That’s the best!

Now im more like...ok dude, you are a jerk. 6cc/sec hope you puke lol.
Or, yep you're going to need an 18g! On the rare occasion I see an ER patient with a 16g I'm like: "Whoa....you really made someone angry!"
But seriously - soaping is very similar. You'll gain the same confidence in your abilities and knowledge and then soaping becomes zen-like!

Me, I do! It gets better. Really preparing all the ingredients, checking the recipe list, lining things up, then when I’m ready I usually take a break, remind myself it’ll turn out great, and then try to relax and enjoy it. I’m on batch #25 and it’s much better, but still kind of intense. It’s all worth it for when I get to cut though!!! That’s the best!
All of this. Just. All of it. LOL

I think patience and thorough research and careful planning can reduce stress- I recently was stressed cause I tried to get rid of palm oil and mango butter. I only make small batches so I had to make 2 lbs of oils to balance out the palm oil and mango butter. Kept adding and tweaking, wasting a lot of time. Sometimes it’s good to throw caution to the wind but it’s not always appropriate or wise to do so. Me just dumping out the bottle of palm and mango got me into an situation I was not comfortable in and it wasn’t pleasurable.

I'm not particularly nervous when I add the lye to the oils...but the FO is another story. Even if it's a fragrance I've used before. I also get a fair bit of anxiety if my batter starts thickening faster than usual.

Also, cleaning up makes me anxious...but that's probably just because I don't want to do it. Haha!

Im almost 50 lol
Don't take this the wrong way, but I think this is a generational issue. I havent since the first time, and that was not overwhelming. Even after a couple of stick blender accidents spilling raw batter on my arm, equipment, tables and floor. I have learned NEVER to stand the stick blender in a jug of water, always lie it down.

We boomers are used to failure, and learning from it. I think the younger generations have been more used to being type A, supported by family to the fact all they do is successful, and have fewer opportunities to learn from failure. What helps is always to have a backup Plan B in your mind in case things go wrong. It helps.
I am almost 50

The very first soap I made I was very nervous. The night before I was sitting in front of my computer rehearsing the recipe in my head, and the additives I wanted to add and the steps it would take.
My hubby walked in the room and saw me staring into space and asked if I was OK. Lols. It was analysis paralysis.

Now I enjoy it.
I take time to measure and weigh everything out and mix my colorants / clays/fragrances etc before. I enjoy the planning and preparation. It's therapeutic.

I do get nervous /cautious withe the weighing and mixing of the lye though.

But I enjoy the whole process. It's not that scary once you have done it a few times.

Back