Ants In My Soap!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tedcar

Reaction score
Just checked on a batch of soap made last week. Ants had invaded it!!!!! Little holes in a lot of the bars and little holes of "soap dust" around the bottom of the bars. Never had this happen before. The bars were on top of a chest five feet off the floor and little black ants everywhere.

Has anyone ever had this happen to them and what would they be after? The oils were avocado, castor, coconut, sunflower and shea butter. 102 oz. of oil and 20 oz. of yogurt. Was thinking it might be the sugar in the yogurt.

On another forum, I remember there being a few members that talked about ants having invaded their soap that had been made with an abnormally high addition of either sugar or honey.

Having said that, though, I make lots of batches of soap with sugar or honey (2 tbsp. ppo at the very most) and I have never had ants invade my soap, not even when we had an ant problem in the house.

Who knows, though,- maybe your invading ants have a weird deficiency in their diet somewhere?

IrishLass :)

They're probably sugar ants...I've had them in a batch that had honey. Or they could be grease ants if you had a high superfat....

Whyyyyyyyy does the best craft in the whole wide world got to attract ze pests? Mouses and ants? Why????? ☹

Because it IS teh most awesomestest craft in teh wurld, and that teh mouse and teh ants have a great taste when it comes to pick top notch quality items.

It`s a great compliment if either of them decide to munch on yer soaps. Really it is.

Almost makes me wanna take a nibble myself...

Grease ants...hahahah NO not THAT Grease.

Seriously, they like grease. I have even seen them in computers and other electronics eating the lubricants! Fun little things.

There's an ant for everything!

I found when you add to much of anything heavy.
Like any natural sugars or raw...
I found black ants, red ants, all colors if ants..
Go straight for it.
Only when there is to much of an ingredient
Like a sugar ingredient added.
You must have less then 128 grams per kilo.
Of any type of sugar ingredient. Be it Natural sugar fruits or what ever.
That's only what I have found.

I hope this helps u.

Stop SniFFiN ma SoAP :)

I found when you add to much of anything heavy.
Like any natural sugars or raw...
I found black ants, red ants, all colors if ants..
Go straight for it.
Only when there is to much of an ingredient
Like a sugar ingredient added.
You must have less then 128 grams per kilo.
Of any type of sugar ingredient. Be it Natural sugar fruits or what ever.
That's only what I have found.

I hope this helps u.

Stop SniFFiN ma SoAP :)

This post is over a year old. Please read the rules for posting and you have a current post regarding the same exact thing.

Latest posts

Back