antique meat grinder ??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

HI all. Has anyone tried using the old crank style counter mounted meat grinders to grate their soap?? I thought it sounded like a good idea, but thought id see if anyone had any success with them before going out and hunting one down.

Hi Hazel. Thats what im thinking, but as i recall they have different attachments on the extruding end... this is whats concerning me... clogging, etc... Maybe someone out there has one and will give it a try? ;)

I didn't think of clogging. I'd like to hear more about this but I can't help you because I don't have one. I also don't grate soap very often because I think it's a PITA.

A little off topic - I thought it would be cool to find something like a Playdoh press where you could press out thin strands, stars, etc to layer into soap. I know it sounds crazy but it would be so much fun! :lol:

Ha! Ive been thinking about that too! I almost used a pastry bag and tips the other day to try it but then realized my bag is lined in some sort of plastic. didnt think that would be such a good idea with fresh tracing soap, lol... The play doh extruder idea is brilliant!

The pastry bag would work. People use them for whipped soap (except for me - I used plastic sandwich bags with a corner cut off). You just have to make sure the tips are stainless steel.

I don't know about brilliant but thanks for saying so. It would have to be something heavy duty because I could see it breaking on the soap. Most of my ungelled soaps stay soft for several days. I might try this sometime if my niece would give up her Playdoh press. I think she's outgrown playing with Playdoh. This is another idea to put on my "To Try" list. :lol:

No kidding. i didnt think that would be a good idea, but ill give it a try now. thank you. make sure you post a reply-if you dont mind- if you end up using your nieces play doh set. im very curious!

I'll post about it if I ever get around to doing it. I have so many things I've said I want to try and still haven't. :roll:

But while I'm thinking about it, I'll email my sister and ask her about the press.

I just checked with dh (butcher), as the word says you would be grinding it and it comes out through the plate at the end and is extruded out into the shape of the holes through the plate. I use to do the mince all the time through an electric one at the shop and a lot of meat gets stuck in the 'worm' before it gets extruded out. So a long story short - grate it by hand. Even the hand ones get meat caught in the middle, so soap would also. We have a hand one here at home and I wouldn't bother. One thing in its favour it would be easy to wash up.

@Pepper

The garlic press is a good idea. I bet your soap cakes turned out cute.

@Relle9

Thanks for letting us know! Well, it would have been nice if it would have worked.

try an old manual salad shooter, just put the soap in and turn the handle and it grates up super easy and painless on the fingers. You can usually find them at thrift stores or garage sales.

@ relle9. thanks for asking, and bummer... if i stumble upon one in my travels i may just have to try it out though...now im wondering if its a really dry bar if it might work...

@ new12soap... good idea!

Back