Another Wine Soap Thread - HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megaptera

Reaction score
I read through the abundance of wine soap threads on the forum, but there are about as many techniques as there are threads, lol. And most are for CP.

I'm planning on HP-ing a batch, subbing part of the water with some boiled (and cooled) red wine. I figure I have several options:

-Add the lye to the combined water and wine, understanding that I will stink out the entire neighborhood.
-Adding lye to just the water, cooling it, then adding the wine to the lye water.
-Adding the wine to the oils before adding the lye water.
-Adding the wine at trace.
-Adding the wine at the end of the cook.

I'm pondering which is best? What say you?
TIA.

I have made 100 percent wine as the liquid in soaps for many, many years.

I just treat it as water and make the soap exactly the same.

I do use the double boiler HP method so that does eliminate any over thickening when pouring the wine liquid into the melted oils.

Same for beer soap.

ETA: Oh, I always mix the lye solution in the garage so the stink isn't a problem....LOL!

One thing I have noticed over the years with wine and beer is to pour the lye into the liquid more slowly and do it in "segments" in order to mix it thoroughly so the lye in there is dissolved before doing the next "segment" of the lye pouring, mixing and dissolving. This helps prevent volcanoes.

For anyone interested in trying the double boiler method, here is the double boiler I have. It comes in many sizes and is induction ready. Plus it is very reasonably priced.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vi...el-aluminum-clad-double-boiler/473SSDB12.html

Last edited:
That's aluminum, shouldn't be using it to make soap. Stainless steel should be used. Aluminum will react with lye.
The aluminum is only on the bottom sandwiched between two layers of stainless steel. It is fine for soaping, been using it for many, many years.

I add at the end of cook. It makes the soap a bit more fluid that way and if you don't mix red wine in totally, you can get a neat marbled look. :) It trips me out how (the variety of wine I've used anyway) hits the soap and turns bluish but as it cools in the mold returns to a pinkish.

Latest posts

Back