Another soapy quandary....

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CTAnton

Reaction score
Well folks, I'm trying to figure out what to call a product I saw locally earlier today and how it's made...here goes...
Ingredients were the usual suspects: olive,palm and coconut as well as glycerine and essential oils. Why I didn't take a picture or buy one I don't know. It came packaged in a tin as a gardeners soap but it was scoop able out of the tin...not a hard disc of cp or hp soap and definitely not what I'd call a cream soap....easily
dentable but not runny at all...from what I recall reading there was mention of sodium hydroxide....I'm just curious as to how it was manufactured....I'm thinking to use you would get the disc out of the tin, rub it between your hands and then return the unused portion back to the tin.I'm trying to come up with an analogy of the consistency and the best I can do is a harder play doh....any clues, folks?

It sounds like it might be similar to the croap shaving soap some f us make. Mine s made with KOH but some make it with a combo of NAOH and KOH. Mine is dentable but still fairly solid.

I am betting it is a dual lye product. My liquid soap paste is like taffy, and it is all KOH. SO add some NaOH and i bet it would firm up like that.

It really won't firm up from NaOH, in my experience. I am voting straight KOH soap paste (NOT IL's liquid soap paste texture!) allowed to dry or cooked for a while to get the extra moisture out. I saw some soap in a tin that the person selling scooped out with a small measuring spoon for people to try at...someplace, maybe a farmer's market or Amish store...about a year or two ago. The texture was just like KOH soap paste that is not made with glycerin. Just regular soap paste. Similar to my Soap2Go texture. I did not use it because it had patchouli EO as part of the scent. It makes me nauseated.

Last edited:
I'm going to have to recheck the product before the nursery closes after the holidays...I was wondering about what a high super fat(<10)might feel like in a regular NaOH recipe....

Latest posts

Back