Another Salt Bar Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

georgiastray

Reaction score
I'm still fighting with the search function, tried to find the answer to the question I'm gonna ask, but no luck. I apologize if it's a question someone else already asked, but... when making salt bars, do I need to reduce the amount of oils I use in my recipe? I'm assuming the salt adds to the overall volume of the soap, therefore I should cut back on oils a bit in order to not overfill my mold. Am I correct? Thanks in advance for any help. :)

If I recall correctly, Paul mentions recalculating your recipe to use 80% of your base oils. He also mentioned that once you have your new recipe you use the new amount of oils and times it by 80% again to figure out the amount of salt to use.

Better check with Paul first though.

Thanks, Cathy. I was pretty sure I had read a post about this, and you are probably right on the percentages. I just couldn't find it by searching, and wanted to be sure before I jumped in and attempted it.

cdwinsby said:
If I recall correctly, Paul mentions recalculating your recipe to use 80% of your base oils. He also mentioned that once you have your new recipe you use the new amount of oils and times it by 80% again to figure out the amount of salt to use.

Better check with Paul first though.

You explaned my method perfectally! Thanks! 8)

Let us know how your salt bars turn out. :wink:

Paul

georgiastray said:
If a turtle loses it's shell, would it be 'naked' or 'homeless'?

Oh great! Have you any idea how many hours now I will put into contemplating this question? Forget about about the 3 batches of soap I was going to make. :lol:

Digit

Cool, a new spin on "which comes first; the chicken or the egg?"

Good thing I'm just now reading your tag line, or I might not have gotten the soap done today. :lol:

Back