Another question please.......

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Guinevere, Mar 7, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Nov 12, 2019 #21

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

Nona'sFarm

I have used:
    Crushed walnut shells
    Pumice
    Shredded loofah
    Coffee grounds
    Poppy seeds
    Green Zeolite clay
    My favorite for hand soap is the crushed walnut shell. However I would think the coffee grounds would have an added advantage of neutralizing smells. I like the idea of a recipe high in CO for sudsing and cleansing.

Also, definitely use distilled water which is not the same as boiled tap water. Any tap water can contain minute quantities of minerals and metals that could react unfavorably with the soap product.

SeaSuds likes this.
  2. Nov 12, 2019 #22

Megan

Megan

Megan

I have a french press that I use exclusively for making coffee for my coffee soap. If you use a coffee maker, even with distilled water, the tap water has already built up hard water scale in your coffee maker that could end up in your final product...they aren't water soluble, but in my head I'm imagining something like an erosion effect hahaha. I'm probably too nit-picky, but I don't like adding variables into my craft.

3. Nov 12, 2019 #23

Arimara

Arimara

Arimara

Supporting Member

I tend to add the grinds to the water before the lye and use it that way. As hot as lye can get, you can't tell me that coffee ain't brewed (possibly cooked though). I'm also just lazy with coffee. But with a mechanic's soap, wouldn't pumace powder be more effective if used in conjunction with the recipe?

Megan and SeaSuds like this.
  4. Nov 12, 2019 #24

SeaSuds

SeaSuds

SeaSuds

Aw nuts:(

5. Nov 12, 2019 #25

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

@SeaSuds I don't think you will have scent from the coffee - at least not enough to cover stinky fish. Anise essential oil is supposedly attractive to fish - maybe add that.

SeaSuds likes this.
  6. Nov 13, 2019 #26

Michele50

Michele50

Michele50

Supporting Member

That's best. I'm kinda like you but I blame it on my OCD. I clean mine first, and brew a bunch and freeze it.

Megan and Arimara like this.
  7. Nov 13, 2019 #27

TheGecko

TheGecko

TheGecko

Uh...boiled tap water is just boiled tap water. To make distilled water, you boil the water in a closed pot, the steam rises, goes through a coil of pipes where it cools and turns back into water...distilled water.

Most guys I know use one of those orange-based soaps and most of them don’t like it because yeah...it cleans their hands, but it can be too rough, too drying and it stinks. By accident, some of my nephew’s friends at a powder-coating shop tried one of my original recipe soaps (I had given some to my nephew). Except for the ‘rose’ color, they liked it.

So I made another small batch, added Chromium Green Clay, some Pumice and they liked it even more. I gave a bar to my BIL who works on cars and he liked it.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2019
    SeaSuds likes this.