Another question about gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
I tend to soap at low temps, 90 or so. I tend to keep a cool house, lower than 68f or 20c. How do I know, definitively, if I've reached gel phase?

I had one partial gel and that was left to sit in the mold in the coldest room in the house but I did soap at hotter temps that time.

I tried CPOP but didn't really notice any difference. I'm currently trying to gel a loaf and have it with a cardboard lid on, wrapped in clingfilm, a towel and a big old blanket wrapped around it. I did need a lot of working time so soaped at about 82 though. I generally soap in the evening so I can't peek on it.

I dont really mind whether I reach gel or not at this point, but would like to at least know one way or another I guess?

As soap gels, it will become less opaque in the mold. As it cools it will return to opaque. Colors seem to be brighter in gelled soap.

I use heating pads below and on top of my molds. My soap starts around 85°F and I let it warm up to 150°F. It generally takes 2-3 hours for my soap to reach 150°F but depends on which FO I am using. I force gell all my soaps this way.

Latest posts

Back