Another question about gel

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

CpnDouchette

Reaction score
I tend to soap at low temps, 90 or so. I tend to keep a cool house, lower than 68f or 20c. How do I know, definitively, if I've reached gel phase?

I had one partial gel and that was left to sit in the mold in the coldest room in the house but I did soap at hotter temps that time.

I tried CPOP but didn't really notice any difference. I'm currently trying to gel a loaf and have it with a cardboard lid on, wrapped in clingfilm, a towel and a big old blanket wrapped around it. I did need a lot of working time so soaped at about 82 though. I generally soap in the evening so I can't peek on it.

I dont really mind whether I reach gel or not at this point, but would like to at least know one way or another I guess?

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As soap gels, it will become less opaque in the mold. As it cools it will return to opaque. Colors seem to be brighter in gelled soap.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I use heating pads below and on top of my molds. My soap starts around 85°F and I let it warm up to 150°F. It generally takes 2-3 hours for my soap to reach 150°F but depends on which FO I am using. I force gell all my soaps this way.

Latest posts