Another question about ask on soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

likeablelady

Reaction score
I'm sure this topic has been talked about to death, but my question is this... Has anyone tried the "Steam" method to remove the ash? It seems like such an easy remedy, but wondering if it really works. Also, if you HAVE tried this, and had success, would you mind posting a before and after picture please.

Both steam and running under water work very well. I usually start as Susie suggested - by running under water (just because it's fast and easy) but I do it while the soap is still in the silicone mold and before I've pulled the sides away. This way I get water only on the tops and I don't have to worry about sticky sides. Normally I run the loaf under the tap, rub my fingers across the top to remove the ash, then prop it at an angle so the water runs down and I blot it off. Then I let it sit for about 30 min to dry before I unmold. If the ash appears after I unmold, I use a steamer. You can either hold the bar over a pot of boiling water using a mit (to protect your hand from the steam heat) or use a commercial steamer that's made for removing wrinkles on clothing. Both work very well so it's just personal preference on what works for you. :)

PS - Sorry, I don't have any before and after pics to share.

Both steam and running under water work very well. I usually start as Susie suggested - by running under water (just because it's fast and easy) but I do it while the soap is still in the silicone mold and before I've pulled the sides away. This way I get water only on the tops and I don't have to worry about sticky sides. Normally I run the loaf under the tap, rub my fingers across the top to remove the ash, then prop it at an angle so the water runs down and I blot it off. Then I let it sit for about 30 min to dry before I unmold. If the ash appears after I unmold, I use a steamer. You can either hold the bar over a pot of boiling water using a mit (to protect your hand from the steam heat) or use a commercial steamer that's made for removing wrinkles on clothing. Both work very well so it's just personal preference on what works for you. :)

PS - Sorry, I don't have any before and after pics to share.

Thanks! I usually do not have smooth tops. Luckily, I own a steamer already.

when I put in the mold I spray with rubbing alcohol have had no problem with as , and I spray it again all sides when I take it out of mold

Back