Another one bites the dust...???

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annmarie0407

Reaction score
I made a batch of soap last night . I opened it tonight and it was like thick jello. I am not sure if it is because I did not use enough lye???

Anyway, I read on Miller soap website that I could rebatch this soap using my crockpot. Miller soap also said to add lye to cold water and then add that mixture to the crockpot rebatch.

My question is ......when do I add this lye(to the rebatch)?

Do you have the recipe you used, and do you remember how much lye you used? Because, if you don't, I wouldn't recommend rebatching. Lye isn't a hit or miss kind of thing and I would hate to see you make a lye heavy rebatch that could injure you.

Better to throw it out and start with new ingredients. I'm not trying to sound negative just want you to be safe.

Thank you. Ya know, after reading your post...I decided to say the heck with this batch. I just took it out of the crock pot and threw it against the wall(just kidding). I agree with you when you talk about the danger of lye.

If it were and oil issue, I would rebatch...but when its lye, I rather not risk injury.

Thank you....you may have saved me

Before my hubby and I created the SoapMaker program, I lost a lot of money making bad batches of soap (lye heavy, too much water etc....). With this program, which shows you more or less how the soap will turn out before you make it, you can save yourself the trouble of ruined batches.

It's free for the first month. Good luck!

I'm glad you threw it out, it's just not safe,

But my other question is if you ran your recipe through a lye calc (as you should before using any and every recipe to know it's correct and safe) why would you think you didn't have enough lye.

Also never trust a recipe that says to use measurements such as a cup of lye, and 3/4 cup olive oil, etc...... they are unsafe and you need to actually weigh out all your ingredients on a scale. I highly recommend a digital scale and one that will weigh in grams. Since there are 28 grams to the ounces I feel that it's more accurate than weighing in ounces.

I highly suggest learning how to use soapcalc to your advantage to make the most of the program. (It's forever FREE and also gives you a set of numbers so you can check it with the recommended range of numbers to get a good idea of how your recipe will turn out before you begin making it.)
http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp

soap_lady said:
I'm glad you threw it out, it's just not safe,

But my other question is if you ran your recipe through a lye calc (as you should before using any and every recipe to know it's correct and safe) why would you think you didn't have enough lye.

Also never trust a recipe that says to use measurements such as a cup of lye, and 3/4 cup olive oil, etc...... they are unsafe and you need to actually weigh out all your ingredients on a scale. I highly recommend a digital scale and one that will weigh in grams. Since there are 28 grams to the ounces I feel that it's more accurate than weighing in ounces.

I highly suggest learning how to use soapcalc to your advantage to make the most of the program. (It's forever FREE and also gives you a set of numbers so you can check it with the recommended range of numbers to get a good idea of how your recipe will turn out before you begin making it.)
http://www.soapcalc.com/calc/soapcalcWP.asp

Great advice...want to add just a side note.... dont trust ANY recipe you find online or elsewhere even if people say it has been tested unless you run it through a calc yourself!...

its the only way to be sure youll be dealing with a safe soap in the end :)

Woodi said:
Before my hubby and I created the SoapMaker program, I lost a lot of money making bad batches of soap (lye heavy, too much water etc....). With this program, which shows you more or less how the soap will turn out before you make it, you can save yourself the trouble of ruined batches.

Great program. With the free test drive, there is nothing to lose. :D

Digit

Woodi said:

Too bad it is not for Macs. Looks interesting.

Rebelshope said:
Too bad it is not for Macs. Looks interesting.
For Soapmaker, on the first page http://www.soapmaker.ca/ at the bottom, there is a link that says "Information for MAC users". I am sure if you have questions, Woodi will answer them. I asked her several before I bought it.

While this program does cost, it has some things that Soapcalc (excellent program also) does not offer, such as the inventory and bar cost calcs, to name a few.

It comes down to what do you need/want from a program. Honestly, I probably would not have purchased without the free trial to see if I thought it would benefit me or suit my needs. I am happy to say it did and so I did. :D

Digit

Latest posts

Back