Another newbie...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! Yet another newbie here. My name is Malia, and I'm working on a soap making addiction. As you can tell by my user name, we have a "ranch" as my husband calls it. Really it's more of a mini farm. We have all sorts of animals from chickens to dairy goats, and they all have a purpose on our farm. I had gotten dairy goats thinking my family could cut out purchasing dairy from the store only to discover that 2 (sometimes 3) of us would drink it. So because our large goat milks a gallon a day, I froze a lot of it.

I made my first batch of goats milk soap last year, just basic lavender EO that we had left over from other home made cleaner projects. I wasn't as enthralled as I thought I would be by that first batch because the EO accelerated the batter so fast and I wasn't prepared. However, I did purchase some fragrance oil and other oil/ butters from brambleberry.

So last month as our soap supply from first batch dwindled I made another 3 batches of 2 pounds of soap. My teen son requested a "guy" scent. So he got Fierce Type from BB because it smelled similar to how deodorant and he liked it. But I didn't do my due diligence and see if it discolored, and now instead of blue and white, its a pinkish with blue 🤷‍♀️. I also made a cranberry fig soap, and again another lavender EO with chamomile powder in it because my garden was filled with chamomile this year. And this time I was *almost* prepared for the acceleration lol.

Someday I want to perhaps sell goats milk soap at craft fairs, or farmers markets, perhaps even online. Right now I'm just playing around trying to figure out what oils and butters I like, and how to combat soda ash on the top! Its gotten better from that first batch, but still there. I've attached photos of my bars lined up for fun. For soaps 2, 3, and 4 this is after 10 to 14 days of curing, just wanted a comparison photo. I think my family will get some soap for Christmas this year lol. 20200923_072154.jpg20200923_071908.jpg

Welcome! So with your goats, do you process them for meat as well? Do you take the fat and make your own tallow from them?

Welcome! So with your goats, do you process them for meat as well? Do you take the fat and make your own tallow from them?
We have not yet. We have a lot of Nigerian Dwarf goats, but I'm finding they are slow maturing and at 8 months to a year they are still not quite large enough to process. Now the mini nubian or mini lamancha is, but of course the ones we have are girls and we're keeping them.

Goats are amazing. We had a Nubian and a dwarf but had to get rid of them for lack of land and both of us working full time. They have a new home with a friend. The Nubian has a god awe full smell! And a nasty creature! His little noodle willie always whips out like a water hose flopping around with full pressure😂😂😂 ah I sure do miss them goats lol

Goats are amazing. We had a Nubian and a dwarf but had to get rid of them for lack of land and both of us working full time. They have a new home with a friend. The Nubian has a god awe full smell! And a nasty creature! His little noodle willie always whips out like a water hose flopping around with full pressure😂😂😂 ah I sure do miss them goats lol

Yes, the bucks are in rut right now and when I was working in my garden the other day, it was bad! But he knows here in a month or so some ladies will be sharing space with him so he's gotta smell his best.

Back