Another newbie to SMF

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

helpmesoap

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I joined this forum quite sometime ago but couldn't figure out how to post. Lol!~ I hope this is the right way to get in on all the wonderful topics I've been reading from everyone. I have one question...
Where I live we have hard water. I've only been soaping since last Nov. I'm still testing different recipes/additives etc. I'ver read that EDTA is used in liquid soap making but I was wondering if I can use it in my CP/HP soap recipes to make a bar better equipped to deal with the hard water. I'm also considering using tussah silk. Ive read nothing but good things about it from folks here. I'm just looking for something extra to give my bars some umph! Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome. Distilled water makes no difference with countering scum in hard water. Soap should be made with distilled water, or reverse osmosis water, not tap water. EDTA and Citric Acid work quite well. I use EDTA because I do not like the crystals that will form on the outside of my soap when I use CA

Welcome, Helpmesoap!

I use tetrasodium EDTA in my CP and HP bar soaps, as well as my liquid soaps. I have very hard water and it really helps at reducing the soap scum in my shower. It doesn't completely eliminate it, but sure cuts it down to a more manageable amount.

Edited to add: it also helps my soap to lather better in my hard water.

IrishLass :)

Welcome back to forum. For hard water try go distilled water.

Hello nebetmiw! Thanks for your response, and yes, I am using distilled water.

Welcome. Distilled water makes no difference with countering scum in hard water. Soap should be made with distilled water, or reverse osmosis water, not tap water. EDTA and Citric Acid work quite well. I use EDTA because I do not like the crystals that will form on the outside of my soap when I use CA

Hello cmzaha, I am using distilled water. I didn't know about citric acid though. Great tip. I'm going to test a batch with both to see how they compare Thanks :thumbs:

Welcome, Helpmesoap!

I use tetrasodium EDTA in my CP and HP bar soaps, as well as my liquid soaps. I have very hard water and it really helps at reducing the soap scum in my shower. It doesn't completely eliminate it, but sure cuts it down to a more manageable amount.

Edited to add: it also helps my soap to lather better in my hard water.

IrishLass :)

Hello IrishLass! Thank you, I'm going to test it out. I feel better now that I've heard from you guys saying it will work. If you have hard water you know my pain lol AND the fact that you mentioned the lather was quite psychic of you! That has been a problem across the board with all the soap recipes I've tested. I've figured out thru the process of elimination that the hard water might be the culprit. Thanks again :D

I need to get some ordered and tested- pretty over soap scum in my bath!
Welcome helpmesoap!
Hello zanzalawi, great to Welcomed! lol I hear you about the soap scum. It's been driving me crazy. I know I didn't have this bad an issue before I started making soap. Hopefully it will solve this issue for us.

Thanks Lin19687!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome.gif

Latest posts

Back