Another newbie question.... molds??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not for normal soap.

On the other hand, I did have a sticky soap once. In that case, it may help to grease your mold with vaseline or mineral oil.

Line it....no.

Will it bow and make your soap a funny shape.....more then likely.

If it's red it may bleed dye into your soap.

You don't have to line it, but like Tegan said it can bow. set it in a box to keep it the right shape.

Mine don't bleed, but do wash it before use.

New silicone molds, in theory, shouldn't bleed. It's the ones from I don't know how many years back (5? 10?) that leeched and bled more, I think.

Until somewhat recently I used a (red!) silicone bread mold that I put in a cardboard box to keep it from warping to much, and it worked fine. The main problem I had with it was that I had to trim A LOT of soap off to get a rectangular bar, because of the angled sides of the mold. I never lined or oiled it, but I don't think I would use it to cook in now.

If you are willing to buy one, the silicone log mold from WSP or Bebe's Collection (think BrambleBerry also has it too) isn't too much more than a silicone bread pan. The bonuses are the sides a reinforced and they are straight to begin with. It makes a wonderful pan for smaller batches. I use approx. 30 oz of oil when I use my silicone loaf mold from WSP. I was looking today at ordering more. I just need to compare prices.

Latest posts

Back