another newbie on the newbie board

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Titanium

Reaction score
Hi All,
Why am I here? I'll be honest, I don't make a lot of soap, its not something I've done for a few years. I enjoyed doing it but I have a lot of soap already and its not something i even use. However I am getting increasing frustrated at not being able to find the skin and beauty care products I want, even after spending hours scouring the internet.
I have a chemistry degree and I worked in FMCG for a year after I left uni so 'why not make my own' I thought and a google hunt brought me here in search of ideas and support. I have no intention of selling or sharing my creations- regulation in the UK is a nightmare-but it would save me hours and pounds in inernet spending!

You’re very right on the U.K. regulations...everything has to be spot on and not a gram over, you have to name everything on labels including their ICIN names and you have to pay a special chemist to assess every time you make a new soap, same basic recipe but different mica and essential oils or fragrance oils even though you know it’s within the safe range and the fragrance is from a reputable seller. Anyway rant over, it’s great being a consumer knowing everything you buy is inspected but a nightmare for the manufacturer. I can’t go over 3% fragrance oil or essential oil but how on earth does people like jo malone and other companies get away with such strong smelling soaps etc!? I’m loving making my own stuff too, I’ve got all my family on my soaps that I can customise to their needs, shampoo syndet bars and now even an oil I’ve made to cleanse my face with. I am 35 and have had acne for about 4 years now and I’ve tried everything so when I read the other day on here about oil cleansing I had to give it a go, I ordered some oils and my skin is loving it! I even make my own essential oil toner...just got to make my own face moisturiser or serum and I’ve become a one women Superdrug (a beauty shop in the U.K.)

thanks all. My current frustration is not being able to find a spray on talc product, so if anyone knows of a recipe.... Water doesn't evaporate fast enough to use as the carrier and alcohol stings on sensitive skin.

Back