Another milk soap question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bhelen

Reaction score
For those of you who use the split method for milk soap, have you ever tried doing a 60:40 or even 70:30 milk-water ratio instead of 50:50? I know that I can use milk powder to up the milk content, but if I can avoid that and still get the super-conditioning qualities of milk, it would be great.

I have been making exclusively 100% milk soaps using a variety of methods and have imagined 50% milk soaps to be a bit inferior. I made a few but my oils mix wasn't ideal so I really don't know if it was the oils or the 50% milk that made them not so great. Be straight with me here! Am I being too strict about the 100% milk thing? Can anyone honestly say they can feel the difference between a 50% milk soap and a 100% one?

I can only speak from my experience. I just make sure my water is 2x my lye to make sure it dissolves properly. The rest I use as milk or other liquid and blend into my oils. I have added powdered milk to my milk to increase the strength but haven't really noticed a difference between 50% to full milks in the feel of my soaps. I suppose it's totally a personal preference. If you want 100% then just freeze your milk and slowly add your lye. Good luck with whatever decision you come to.

For those of you who use the split method for milk soap, have you ever tried doing a 60:40 or even 70:30 milk-water ratio instead of 50:50? I know that I can use milk powder to up the milk content, but if I can avoid that and still get the super-conditioning qualities of milk, it would be great.

I have been making exclusively 100% milk soaps using a variety of methods and have imagined 50% milk soaps to be a bit inferior. I made a few but my oils mix wasn't ideal so I really don't know if it was the oils or the 50% milk that made them not so great. Be straight with me here! Am I being too strict about the 100% milk thing? Can anyone honestly say they can feel the difference between a 50% milk soap and a 100% one?

No, I can't tell the difference. Although milk definitely adds something to soaps, I think it is like every other ingredient. You don't need 100% for the benefit of coconut oil, or avocado oil, you don't need 100% milk either.

My family and friends think that a lard soap is better than a milk soap any day. I know because I have tested them. No one could tell the difference between the milk and the water soap, and everyone preferred lard to everything else.

Having said that, if you want to add milk for label appeal, I don't think it matters how much, as long as you can still put it on the label. If you want the label to say "100% milk soap", then you are locked into that, but if not, just add what you like.

Better yet, why not make several small batches with varying amounts of milk, say 25%, 50%, 75%, 100%, and have your friends and family test them. Be sure that the ONLY variation between soaps is the amount of milk, not color, scent, or amount of superfat. Then ask them which is their favorite. I would mark the labels or bags with random letters(not A, B, C, D) so they don't fall for the subliminal 1 or A=best issue.

JM2C

Last edited:
I would mark the labels or bags with random letters(not A, B, C, D) so they don't fall for the subliminal 1 or A=best issue.

That's really interesting. I never thought about A or 1 being subconsciously chosen as the best just because of the letter or number. I'll have to try this

"... a 60:40 or even 70:30 milk-water ratio instead of 50:50..."

The other issue is getting the lye fully dissolved, assuming you're dissolving the lye in water and adding the milk at trace or to the oils or whatever. The bare minimum water to use is equal to the lye weight -- 100 g water for 100 g of lye aka a 50% lye solution.

I haven't done any blind testing, but from informal use of my soaps made with milk and without, I can't say I see any real difference. I think the blend of fats is far more important to the quality of the soap than the additives, including milk.

Thanks everyone. After reading your replies I am definitely going to try a few 50% milks and a few 100% waters with my nice new oils combo and see how it goes. I have been pretty attached to the idea of milk, but if people really can't tell the difference I don't want to get stuck in my ways. Thankfully I am still in the experimental stage and have not started selling yet, so the marketing or labeling thing is not a big issue. And I don't like the idea of putting milk in the soap just as a marketing ploy, if I don't believe it has any impact on the product.

I don't like the idea of putting milk in the soap just as a marketing ploy, if I don't believe it has any impact on the product.

When you do start selling, definitely sell at least one type of milk soap. Not as a marketing ploy, but because you will have people come to you looking for it. That goes for having a clay soap, silk soap, vegan soap, and anything else really. You can't please everyone it is true - but don't let that stop you from trying. Especially if you have recipes that have been well received.

That's really interesting. I never thought about A or 1 being subconsciously chosen as the best just because of the letter or number. I'll have to try this

I noticed right off that all the soaps marked 1 or A were everyone's favorites. Then I gave them the same soaps in bags marked X, 5, R, P, and suddenly everyone had other opinions. I was kind of shocked on the fact that they liked the 1 and A, because those were my least favorite soaps. But, no, they all liked what I liked after I mixed it up a bit.

I don't think there's anything wrong with making milk soap ... I made a batch this past weekend. Even though I don't think milk, whether cow or goat, makes or breaks the quality of the soap, it is certainly a nice variation on a basic soap. It's like flavors of ice cream. Vanilla would be pretty boring if that's the only flavor we were allowed to have!

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

everyone likes different things.

i have heard many people say they really dont like lard soaps because they are drying. some love it.

i take the recommended amount of water and subtract the amount of lye and use that for the amount of milk....and use equal amounts of lye and water.

if you want more milk than the amount lets you, you can use cream, or evaporated milk, or add powdered milk to your liquid milk. or you can take some regular milk and slowly warm it on a really low temperature to evaporate some of the milk to make it more concentrated. canned evaporated milk is not fresh and not as good as evaporating your own milk. but it takes awhile and has to be stirred constantly to evaporate your own.

everyone likes different things.

i have heard many people say they really dont like lard soaps because they are drying. some love it.

I would find it hard to find someone that used a properly made lard soap describe it as drying.... maybe in our ancestor's past when all they had was lard and homemade lye without a good way to measure either. Lard is very soothing.

Don't disparage my magical piggy goodness. ;)

I would find it hard to find someone that used a properly made lard soap describe it as drying.... maybe in our ancestor's past when all they had was lard and homemade lye without a good way to measure either. Lard is very soothing.

Don't disparage my magical piggy goodness. ;)

Snappyllama, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've had a few people who remember that homemade farm soap with a look of dismay and think that all handmade soap will be like that. I think there was a great deal of variation in quality from farm to farm.

Back