Another Lotion Bar Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The bars are 1.5" x .5" and weight .75 oz and I sold them $2.00 each or 3/$5.00.

I sold mine for $3.75 for 1.4 oz. I used the little containers from the dollar store--poured right into the container--poured two smaller hearts that were 1.2 oz and I sold those for $3.50, they also fit into the container. They were a hit!!

Last edited:
I sold mine for $3.75 for 1.4 oz. I used the little containers from the dollar store--poured right into the container--poured two smaller hearts that were 1.2 oz and I sold those for $3.50, they also fit into the container. They were a hit!!

I thought about pouring into a container, but I have nails and would either have lotion under my nails digging in or doing a backwards scrape. And then having nails, I'm not going to get all the lotion out of the container. I have ordered some small tins that I think my bars will fit into though labels are a concern and I would have to raise my prices to cover the cost. Or I could just sell the tins separately and let folks choose to purchase them. I don't know...I'll see when it gets here.

Or I could just sell the tins separately and let folks choose to purchase them. I don't know...I'll see when it gets here.
I never even thought of that. Lush does it that way, too. Their tins are sold separately. Hmmm... something to think about. They would need wrapping, though, and I don't think shrink wrap would be the best idea (heat, and all).

I never even thought of that. Lush does it that way, too. Their tins are sold separately. Hmmm... something to think about. They would need wrapping, though, and I don't think shrink wrap would be the best idea (heat, and all).

What’s the big deal with Lush? I had never heard of them until I started watching soap videos and someone would mention them here and there.

I’m just going to use cellophane or plastic bags that have either twist tie or ziplock.

I am thinking of trying deodorant tubes for my testers though.

What’s the big deal with Lush? I had never heard of them until I started watching soap videos and someone would mention them here and there.

I’m just going to use cellophane or plastic bags that have either twist tie or ziplock.

I am thinking of trying deodorant tubes for my testers though.
The only problem with the cellophane or plastic is that they will be all smeared if you plan on doing shows and between handling and transportation they are messy.

The only problem with the cellophane or plastic is that they will be all smeared if you plan on doing shows and between handling and transportation they are messy.

I don't prepackage my Lotion Bars, each scent is kept in separate container with only a 'tester' on the table. Then when folks want to purchase, I open the container, take out the bar with Tupperware tongs that have been sanded smooth, wrap them in a cut down coffee filter or pieces of double tissue paper and place them in the bag.

I thought about pouring into a container, but I have nails and would either have lotion under my nails digging in or doing a backwards scrape. And then having nails, I'm not going to get all the lotion out of the container. I have ordered some small tins that I think my bars will fit into though labels are a concern and I would have to raise my prices to cover the cost. Or I could just sell the tins separately and let folks choose to purchase them. I don't know...I'll see when it gets here.

before I label I tip the container upside down and push on the bottom and it loosens up and comes out--and after that all you have to do is turn it upside down and it slides right out

I don't prepackage my Lotion Bars, each scent is kept in separate container with only a 'tester' on the table. Then when folks want to purchase, I open the container, take out the bar with Tupperware tongs that have been sanded smooth, wrap them in a cut down coffee filter or pieces of double tissue paper and place them in the bag.
Okay, that makes sense. Too time consuming for me. I'm lucky to get things rung up and bagged.

I use the candy molds that are made for oreo cookies dipped in chocolate. It works with the tins available. I don't do many scents and I find it a unappealing to smell my hands with a lot of scent. I stick to a clean scent, citrus, pink sugar and unscented. Since soap is my main product I want the lotion bars in a bowl that doesn't take up much display space and that means I am happier with fewer scents.

I have a few men who like these who work outside in the winter. I think the tins in the pocket look more "masculine" since they look like a snuff tin!

Yes, for packaging there are really two packages needed: one to sell them in (bags, or wax paper + box, or whatever) and one to carry them around in (tins or plastic tubs). Ideally, to reduce waste, you would sell in a simple, yet somehow sturdy package and the customer would refill their container they got from you previously. Think of it as soap packaging and soap dishes: you don't need the latter every time you buy the former.
I gave up trying to find tins and moulds that matched, started adding more liquid oils to my lotion bars, and called them "balms". So I carry a tin around with me, scoop some out, and use it. They stay cleaner and more presentable, and don't get melty or dinged up.

Just wanted to say thank you to all of you guys who post on here. I was part of a small craft show yesterday and decided to add lotion bars to my goat milk soap and honey offerings. The bars were very small as I used candy molds but they were very popular even though I had to explain what they were to many of the people. I sold them in little tins with a clear top - 4 bars/$3. Most people were really interested to see that the beeswax came from the same hive that their just purchased honey came from. I had a picture from us extracting just last Monday. Anyway, thank you. I am new to the forum and found this thread exactly when I needed it. :)

Latest posts

Back