Another Lotion Bar Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a yarn store owner ask me if I make lotion bars. Her normal supplier is too busy and no longer makes them so she's looking for another source. I've made them in the past but it's been a long time. I'm playing with recipes to find one that I really like. I'll take any advice I can get but that's not why I'm posting.

What I really want to know is what's a good size for lotion bars? What size, or sizes, do you make? The small batch I made yesterday are about 2" x 2" x 1" and weigh approximately 50 grams but I find them a bit big. They don't sit nicely in my hands. Tonight, I made an experimental batch using a rose candy mold, an approximately 1" circle by 1/2" in depth; I think they might be fine as samples but not big enough for sale. What would be a good size, in your opinion?

And I'm always open to suggestions.

20191021_210258.jpg

I had a yarn store owner ask me if I make lotion bars. Her normal supplier is too busy and no longer makes them so she's looking for another source. I've made them in the past but it's been a long time. I'm playing with recipes to find one that I really like. I'll take any advice I can get but that's not why I'm posting.

What I really want to know is what's a good size for lotion bars? What size, or sizes, do you make? The small batch I made yesterday are about 2" x 2" x 1" and weigh approximately 50 grams but I find them a bit big. They don't sit nicely in my hands. Tonight, I made an experimental batch using a rose candy mold, an approximately 1" circle by 1/2" in depth; I think they might be fine as samples but not big enough for sale. What would be a good size, in your opinion?

And I'm always open to suggestions.

I am using a ‘mini’ mold...same one I use for my soap ‘samples...it’s 1.57” x 1”. Got it from Amazon...15 cavities, 3-pack $10.00. I sell them 2 to a pack and can make several scents with a single batch. I like the size because it allows the customer to have different scents without feeling wasteful.

I usually make mine in a 2 oz or .50 oz roll up tube or in a mold that make them about 1.5 oz. I put those in a tin. I don't make them as often as I should. Generally if I'm doing a lot of fall/winter shows.

I am using a ‘mini’ mold...same one I use for my soap ‘samples...it’s 1.57” x 1”. Got it from Amazon...15 cavities, 3-pack $10.00. I sell them 2 to a pack and can make several scents with a single batch. I like the size because it allows the customer to have different scents without feeling wasteful.
How many scents to you carry at any given time?

Think about how you want to package them. I used these containers so they could be carried in a purse:
https://www.dollartree.com/sure-fresh-mini-storage-containers-with-lids-10ct-packs/206990
And I think it was this mold with the cavities not quite filled completely fit nicely inside:
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/flowers-guest-milky-way-soap-mold.aspx

I don't sell, so packaging wasn't a huge concern, but for the cost they work out pretty well.

If you want to pour directly into the container, these (or larger ones) also work well:
https://www.amazon.com/Healthcom-De...ds=mini+deodorant+tube&qid=1571751478&sr=8-11

Think about how you want to package them. I used these containers so they could be carried in a purse:
https://www.dollartree.com/sure-fresh-mini-storage-containers-with-lids-10ct-packs/206990
And I think it was this mold with the cavities not quite filled completely fit nicely inside:
https://www.wholesalesuppliesplus.com/products/flowers-guest-milky-way-soap-mold.aspx

I don't sell, so packaging wasn't a huge concern, but for the cost they work out pretty well.

If you want to pour directly into the container, these (or larger ones) also work well:
https://www.amazon.com/Healthcom-De...ds=mini+deodorant+tube&qid=1571751478&sr=8-11

I've used the same molds. I also recently bought some of the dollar tree containers to try out. Not sure when since I haven't made anything in months and months.

I've used both of these.
https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/2-oz-Round-Natural-Twist-up.html

https://www.elementsbathandbody.com/.50-oz-Round-White-Twist-up.html

I often see them in tins, which I think would be perfect for a purse or knitting bag. I'm not sure whether I should buy the tins first and then see which mold fits best or use the mold first then try to find a tin that fits.

I've now made two small batches and am testing both to see which I prefer or how I can tweak them. I can definitely see why knitters would like them.

How many scents to you carry at any given time?

At least six, but I'm making a few more for the Craft Fair. It's a good way to use up those left over bits in the bottle or a badly behaved scent and I don't use a lot of scent because I remember the first time I used a bar of French Vanilla at church...half the congregation turned around to look at me. Each mold has 15 cavities and each batch fills 3 molds. Each mold sits on a cookie sheet I bought from the Dollar Store; after filling the molds I place a sheet of wax paper over it, stack them up and pop them in the frig. I like the size because again, that first bar of French Vanilla lasted FOR-EV-ER! And given how much I paid for it, I wasn't going to waste it. I use an 'address label' for labeling because I don't need a lot space and it doesn't need to be fancy. After packaging, I store them in a flat container with a lid on the bottom shelf of the frig.

I'll have to measure the sizes I use, but I know my small bar is about 15g and the big one is about 35g.. If that helps any.

I'm still trying to figure out eco friendly zero waste packaging for selling but so far, for home use (me n mine), the small ones are a bigger hit coz the big ones obviously leave a bigger mess on whatever surface they're forgotten on haha, and there can be several small ones throughout the house within easy reach, if you are so inclined.

I plan on selling the small ones two or three a pack, once I figure out how, and how to ship em with very minimal melting, without costing an arm on packaging.

I'll have to measure the sizes I use, but I know my small bar is about 15g and the big one is about 35g.. If that helps any.

I'm still trying to figure out eco friendly zero waste packaging for selling but so far, for home use (me n mine), the small ones are a bigger hit coz the big ones obviously leave a bigger mess on whatever surface they're forgotten on haha, and there can be several small ones throughout the house within easy reach, if you are so inclined.

I plan on selling the small ones two or three a pack, once I figure out how, and how to ship em with very minimal melting, without costing an arm on packaging.
I love the mold you used! I've ordered a mold but it won't be here until after my market season is over. :( However, I have molds available and Michael's isn't all that far away.

Thank you all for your input. It's definitely been helpful.

I used these containers so they could be carried in a purs

I used the round ones of these and only put 1.4 ounces in them so they were about 3/4 full (?) . I just started using these but when they harden just tip over and pop on the bottom and they come out. I agree with dibbles they are a good price. I have a market on Sat so I am curious as to how they go over. I was putting them in an oval silicone mold with the same weight but didn't like how they held up with use, they seem to break off too easy on the ends (I was using a brown bag that is waxed on the inside for selling--but I didn't like that either) I also used a small heart mold and put two in the dollar store container

I used the round ones of these and only put 1.4 ounces in them so they were about 3/4 full (?) . I just started using these but when they harden just tip over and pop on the bottom and they come out. I agree with dibbles they are a good price. I have a market on Sat so I am curious as to how they go over. I was putting them in an oval silicone mold with the same weight but didn't like how they held up with use, they seem to break off too easy on the ends (I was using a brown bag that is waxed on the inside for selling--but I didn't like that either)
I look forward to hearing how they sell for you this weekend. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make them for the market or just for the yarn store.

I look forward to hearing how they sell for you this weekend. I'm still trying to decide if I want to make them for the market or just for the yarn store.

will let you know!! it would be nice to make for both as it is something that is pretty easy to whip up. I wonder how they will hold up at the summer markets though. I like the fact that the dollar store containers are see through cuz nobody here knows what a lotion bar is :) . I had a tester tell me she would pass on them cuz they were really waxy and didn't suds much hahaha--i told her they weren't soap when I gave it to her :beatinghead:

will let you know!! it would be nice to make for both as it is something that is pretty easy to whip up. I wonder how they will hold up at the summer markets though. I like the fact that the dollar store containers are see through cuz nobody here knows what a lotion bar is :) . I had a tester tell me she would pass on them cuz they were really waxy and didn't suds much hahaha--i told her they weren't soap when I gave it to her :beatinghead:
LOL

I use heart molds for "small" version of mine, they sell for $5: Link
For a "bigger" version I just use my soap loaf and cut them into a bars 1" think. They go for $10. Wrap them in wax paper, and package in brown paper box.

Just wanted to let you know that my Lotion Bars were big sellers at the Craft Fair this past weekend. I had had a hectic week and forgot to pick up packaging and so quickly ran into the Dollar Tree to see what they had and bought some little clear 'candy' bags and coffee filters. The bars are 1.5" x .5" and weight .75 oz and I sold them $2.00 each or 3/$5.00. My biggest customers were mature women like myself (over 50) who really liked the size (so much easier to handle) and my top selling fragrances were English Rose, Baby Powder and Vanilla Bean.

Just wanted to let you know that my Lotion Bars were big sellers at the Craft Fair this past weekend. I had had a hectic week and forgot to pick up packaging and so quickly ran into the Dollar Tree to see what they had and bought some little clear 'candy' bags and coffee filters. The bars are 1.5" x .5" and weight .75 oz and I sold them $2.00 each or 3/$5.00. My biggest customers were mature women like myself (over 50) who really liked the size (so much easier to handle) and my top selling fragrances were English Rose, Baby Powder and Vanilla Bean.

That is great to hear! I have my first craft show this weekend and made some lotion bars to fill in on my table. Then got to second guessing myself about packaging, storing, etc, etc... Your post was timed perfectly. :)

Latest posts

Back