Another latest alternating wall pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here's soap #3 of the week. If you've been following all the drama today, I have issues with mystery yellow streaks. They'll fade in time. And I've learned I think the issue is soaping too cool with false trace. Living and learning....
Mica line is titanium dioxide. Scented with bergamot and cedarwood essential oils. Colored with kermit green (poor color in photo, lovely color in real life).
20210701_181213.jpg
20210701_181219.jpg

That colour looks, at least on the photos, rather like peas than beans, IMHO. But that's a matter of taste, and it seems we have decided to leave taste out of this thread. 😜

Seriously, there appear to be streaks throughout the bars that are darker/more intense in colour. I'm wondering what this could be. It's not from improper mixing/blending in the colourant, since they traverse the mica lines. It appears too branched to be partial gel. Ideas?

Besides this, I'm wondering how it'd look like if you combine alternating wall pour with hombré, to achieve an air perspective illusion (hazy mountain range), with or without mica lines.

I have no reason to complain about my photographer 😋
ash_pan.jpg
(I turned this very ash into my June challenge non-submission soap. Is it my fault that some moron placed a pan with a un-nameable meal on top of the glowing coals?)

My photographer is crap. I'm just glad that the yellow essential oil reabsorbed.
On a serious note, the lighting is also quite different between the two photos. Is the colour change really that striking in real life? What colourants have you put in? It nearly might be laurel oil to the unaided eye.

I have no reason to complain about my photographer 😋
View attachment 59425
(I turned this very ash into my June challenge non-submission soap. Is it my fault that some moron placed a pan with a un-nameable meal on top of the glowing coals?)

On a serious note, the lighting is also quite different between the two photos. Is the colour change really that striking in real life? What colourants have you put in? It nearly might be laurel oil to the unaided eye.
The main green color has remained unchanged, it's kermit green mica from Bramble Berry. The mica line is titanium dioxide. Immediately after unmolding, tho', I had large splotches of yellow. Through the helpful problem-solving of this forum, I learned I was soaping at too cool of a temperature which allowed solid oils to solidify first and pushing essential oils around into unsightly splotches.

The main green color has remained unchanged, it's kermit green mica from Bramble Berry. The mica line is titanium dioxide. Immediately after unmolding, tho', I had large splotches of yellow. Through the helpful problem-solving of this forum, I learned I was soaping at too cool of a temperature which allowed solid oils to solidify first and pushing essential oils around into unsightly splotches.
I’ve made soap 4A few years but just recently got bit by 🧼 bug. Used to ALWAYS soap hot 100-110 but recently started soaping cooler & love it. How cool is too cool IYO, that caused the problems you described with yellow streaks?

We have central air conditioning and the basement is especially cool in the summer. Probably the low 70s F. I can tell when I have to warm up the oil mixture when it gets kinda white, after heating it's all clear.

That too has happened to me during my experiment to see if I could mix lye solution & oils the day before & 🧼 next day. I want to do soap presentation @ elementary school. No lye mixing allowed. Everything worked. I didn’t heat up my cloudy oils tho. Probably should’ve.

Latest posts

Back