Another introduction !

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eve1374

Reaction score
Hi ! Looks like I forgot to introduce myself :)
I’ve started soapmaking a year and a half ago, and made around 20 batches. I have to restrain myself to do more !
I started after meeting my actual boyfriend, who used natural cold process soaps while I was using disgusting shower gels and body lotions, though a few years before I started to dig into home made cosmetics but abandoned. When searching for the differences between the ‘disgusting shower gels’ and ‘disgusting shampoos’, I found out a lot of recipes for cold process soaps and shampoos (I’m not good at googling, nor searching into forums :) ). It looked really funny and creative so I / we started !
I love soaps with no color or natural colors (from oils, or powders you can find in the kitchen). Usually I don’t add scent or essential oils except for experiments or for friends used to ‘disgusting shower gels’.
I think that’s all !
Have a nice day :)
Eve

Silicon, paraben, sodium laureth sulfate, scents,... Or other ingredients added that are not needed for the initial purpose, ie washing, and may be dangerous for health.
There's a lot of documentation about this kind of ingredients and there are apps to scan the codes of the product you use to check these ingredients. I've read the book no more dirty looks which is interesting concerning this, though the authors are not from the scientific or medical domain, in case you are interested

Not all shower gels or shampoos contain those ingredients, in fact many have excluded them for years.

There is a great deal more out there and it's just not helpful to blanket label all shower gels, or indeed shampoo, as disgusting. No criticism of your intention, indeed many soapers start from a similar viewpoint, but making and researching things over many years means that lots of us have a different stance on ingredients. For example for vegans any animal product is a red line, the same is true of people who dislike palm. Add to that US permitted ingredients are vastly different to EU ( including testing) meaning that people here approach soap, bath, body products from many different viewpoints.

No one view is right, or wrong for that matter it just doesn't help to tell people that something they make or use is disgusting.

Of course not all contain these ingredients ! I was speaking of the ones I used at the moment. And moreover I started soapmaking mainly because I love doing some things myself. Of course people have their own reasons to use or make soap, with the ingredients they choose for whatever reason.

And of course people do what they want, as much as I do. I offer soap to my friends and family, and if they ask why I do it myself, I may explain my point of view and my change from what I called ‘disgusting’ (also, please note I’m not a native english speaker), to my home made soaps.

Hi Eve. Welcome to the forum. You will find anything and everything having to do with soap (as well as other B&B products) on this site. Just may have to dig a little. Soaping is very addictive, isn't it?

Thanks IrishLass and Raspienza!
That's so addictive indeed, there's a huge list of things I want to try in soapmaking...
Great, I've not searched for other B&B products here, but that's good to know :thumbs:

Welcome to the forum. You can make your own shampoos with eco-friendly surfactants. Swithcraftymonkey blog has great recipes; but you have to pay a monthly fee to access the info.

Thanks for the link! I tried what we call solid shampoos using surfactants. At the moment I use the last soaps I made for shampoo for shampoo

Latest posts

Back