Another "How many of you ... ?" questions.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
How many of you plane and bevel your bars?

Like most of you, I have made LOTS of soap in my life but I have to say that I never planed or beveled. The people who got the bars, got them in the raw - like they were just cut off the slab. No one ever complained and most happily came back for more. I was so clueless that it never dawned on me make the bars more attractive.
Maybe it's an uncouth variation on being male. My bars are impressive because they are really big and people seem to like big.
As usual, this group has given me something to think about. Maybe I could start tidying things up a bit.

So! Back to the question! How many of you plane and bevel?

I use a potato peeler to kinda bevel edges a little. I do it because the square edges feel a bit sharper than I enjoy using the first couple of times.

When I received handmade soap before I knew anything about soapmaking, the bars were not planed or bevelled, or cleaned up in any way, and I didn't notice at all. I only noticed once I started making my own soap and went back to compare.

ETA: I also don't sell my soap. I might do it differently if I did.

I don't plane, and I only very occasionally bevel (with a vegetable peeler). I, like @Misschief , don't want to be dealing with all the extra scraps that would yield.
I sell mine and no-one seems to mind/notice. However when I see some of the lovely bevels that pop up on here I do get a little jealous. Obviously not enough to do something about it ;-)

I plane and bevel all of my soaps. Initially I did not, but I prefer the smoother corners now. After getting the planer, and wanting to plane every soap I had, I realized I am very tactile and prefer the smooth feeling it gives to soap bars. I do not sell at shows, and most of my soaps are for friends and family, so it is something I do mostly for myself.

I plane all of them, and bevel when I feel it will add to the aesthetic. I make soap purely for my own enjoyment and as a creative outlet and I find that planing brings out the pattern more clearly because the surface is completely smooth.

Following on what @dibbles mentioned, one of my dad’s first comments about my soap was about the sharp edges. I don’t sell, but do gift, and mostly bevel or at least smooth the edges. The knife on the edge trick is fast and easy. After reading this post shared by @SoapWitch , I use a lemon zester when I want more of a bevel.

Planing can fix or improve a lot of cosmetic issues in soap, but takes time and creates waste.

Latest posts

Back