Another HDPE Mold Opinion/tips Thread

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wt168048

Reaction score
I have searched the forum to try to find some info on HDPE molds and everything i have found is not recent. I have 2 HDPE molds now but have not used yet. I have read many mixed reviews on these types of molds. We made them to be able to have bigger batches and to try to get away from have to line our wooden molds every time.

Advice for these molds would be great!

I have read some reviews that say soap does not stick to these molds and others that do. I have also read that rubbing the walls with mineral oil or food grade spray on silicone also helps.

thanks in advance!

image.jpg

Last edited:
Although I don't own any HDPE molds, I do own one mold that came with HDPE liners (Brambleberry's wood vertical mold), and they are a royal pain in the you know what when it comes time for unmolding. I applied all the unmolding tricks that are suggested for molds/liners such as these, and still, my soap would come out damaged because the liners would not let go of my soap no matter what. Even sodium lactate didn't help. So.....I applied a trick of my own- I line my liners with no-melt mylar (or bubble wrap if I'm making a honey soap). I know how silly it sounds to have to line one's liners, but the trick works like a peach and has allowed me to continue using my mold- which is an awesome mold otherwise- without wanting to throw it against the wall. lol

Edited to add that if I were in the market for another mold or if I was going to make one, HDPE would not even be on my list.

IrishLass :)

Mylar is good. My mold is the divided one on this page:
http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id9.html

I line the bottom with a piece of baker's paper - I can't remember the name, but it's in a blue box of 1000 sheets from costco. Then I grease my dividers with mineral oil. Sometimes I wrap the dividers instead. Silicone spray is awesome, but not easy to find. (I stole some from work.)

HDPE molds Have to be lined. All my regular batch molds are hdpe. If you made yours with the smooth hdpe, not textured you might get away without lining but with batches 5#'s and above but I would not risk it. Hopefully you used at least 5/8th inch thick hdpe. Even with that thickness a log mold that holds over 6 lbs of soap will tend to bulge out and will need to be secured across the center. Acrylic molds may serve your purpose better, although I am not sure if large batches will release from acrylic. I only know my little 1lb test mold out of acrylic releases nicely. I think some in here have the large acrylic molds.

Mylar is good. My mold is the divided one on this page:
http://www.cumberlandacoustic.com/id9.html

I line the bottom with a piece of baker's paper - I can't remember the name, but it's in a blue box of 1000 sheets from costco. Then I grease my dividers with mineral oil. Sometimes I wrap the dividers instead. Silicone spray is awesome, but not easy to find. (I stole some from work.)

does the silicone spray have an effect on the soap?

I have a convertible HDPE mold. It has a silicone pad for the bottom, but I don't use anything on the sides, and it works beautifully. That being said, unless I'm making multiple loaves or large pan size, I stick to my silicone molds simply because they are easier to use. The HDPE mold has to be put together for the configuration I want, and that is time consuming. When I do use it though, I don't treat the sides with anything, and they release nicely.

I have attached images of our molds. They are the smooth HDPE sheets.

Last edited:
I have a convertible HDPE mold. It has a silicone pad for the bottom, but I don't use anything on the sides, and it works beautifully. That being said, unless I'm making multiple loaves or large pan size, I stick to my silicone molds simply because they are easier to use. The HDPE mold has to be put together for the configuration I want, and that is time consuming. When I do use it though, I don't treat the sides with anything, and they release nicely.
Is yours smooth hdpe? Mine are not and you can trust me they Have to be lined.

I have read some reviews that say soap does not stick to these molds and others that do. I have also read that rubbing the walls with mineral oil or food grade spray on silicone also helps.

I'd say don't take a chance. I only use HDPE but have never considered them to be no-liner molds.

For my production molds I made hi-temp mylar panels that just pop in. It makes prep a lot easier, but I'm not convinced I gain much over freezer paper because the liners get dirty and I end up cleaning both the mylar and the mold panels after each batch.

Freezer paper actually protects the mold better and you can throw it out. I'll probably change my method.

Carolyn,Mine are smooth. Made by soaphutch. have never lined my sides. The bottom I always use the silicone pad. Does well with CPOP, or just insulating. Either way, I haven't gotten anything other than smooth sides.

Back