Another CP Soap Problem!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapyGoats

Reaction score
I've attached pictures of what problem I'm having trouble with cause it's kind of hard to explain. I'm getting hard, what bumps on my soap. They seem to 'grow' out of the soap after the soap is a couple days old.

It's "random". I can't see any relation between recipes, temps, FO or EO. (and I know soap doesn't do random ;)) I also don't get it very often. Once in a blue moon :)

Temps on lye is generally between 30-40*C and oil is around 30*C. Then it does what it feels like in the mold.

It just happened on a new soap with the FO Satsuma, Manderin & Jasmine on this recipe: ( the yellow soap pictures are of this one)

35% Calendula infused OO
30% Coconut
25% Lard
3.3% Castor
6.7% Almond Oil

8.7% Lye (lye discount 5%)
21.3% Goats Milk

1.7% FO

And with this soap: ( brown soap picture)

35% Calendula infused OO
30% Coconut
25% Lard
5% Castor
5% Avocado Oil
21% Goat Milk
8.6% Lye
2% FO (Holiday Apple, really dislike the smell, btw)
2 tsp gold mica (swirled it :))

If it makes any difference, these recipes are in SoapMaker 3. And I'm getting HOOKED on swirls! Made two swirl batches today :Dhttp://www.soapmakingforum.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

DSC_2390.jpg

DSC_2395.jpg

DSC_2396.jpg

DSC_2345.jpg

Yes, there is soap ash on the tops of the yellow bars. The brown bar shows more what I'm talking about :) The yellow bars are just starting some bumps.

Looks like soda ash to me. It's cosmetic and happens to everyone at one time or another. And it can happen on the sides of a bar as well as the top.

Your use of "8.6% Lye" and "21% Goat Milk" is a non-standard way to talk about the lye and water in a soap recipe, so be aware that many soapers aren't going to follow your way of presenting a recipe. Anyways, try soaping with less water and that will help.

The soap has partially gelled (dark centre).
You can avoid that by putting it in the fridge as soon as it is molded or wrapping it in a blanket and putting it in an over heated to 100 degrees F and turning it off. I do that with 100% goats milk soap and haven't had a problem

Last edited:
Okay, thanks! Glad it's only soda ash. And thanks for the tip, penelopejane :)

Actually if you just wash the soda ash off the top of the Loaf with water and rub it a bit it works well. No need to steam. I think if you do this you will avoid moving the soda ash from the top of the soap onto each slice.

I've never seen soda ash that grows like that in specific lumps though. It looks more like it might be unincorporated lye to me that is forming soda ash as it sits.

Have you zap tested those spots on the soap? Its just a bit strange to me since they look like little speckles. And the (what looks like) soda ash is forming right where those spots are.

I wonder if maybe with the goats milk all of the lye is not dissolved before you begin soaping?

Yes, it's very odd.
No, I haven't...good idea.
Yeah, that's what I thought maybe too, but I've been making sure that (visually) all the lye is dissolved before I add the oils. Any other way to make even more sure that the lye is dissolved?

I'd scrape off the part that's growing and see if the spot itself zaps. The older the bar is, the less likely it will be to zap even if it was lye. I'd test it on a newer bar first. Be sure to have water handy to flush your mouth just in case.

How do you add your goats milk?

You could strain your lye as you are pouring it into your oils if you think their may be undissolved lye. A small stainless strainer would work fine.

At the beginning I add my lye to the goats milk. I use it instead of water.

Now that's a good idea, Shunt2011 :) Will have to try it.

Latest posts

Back