Another batch of CP soap accelerated

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello soap family,
I had another problem with my batter accelerating last night.

I was trying to do a four color soap using turmeric, paprika, TD and AC. I poured the essential oils (clove and tangerine) into the oils before I poured the lye solution. The oils came to trace after 2 or 3 very short bursts with the stick blender. I separated out the batter and before I put the colorants in, the batter was already seizing. This batch was a loss. I might be able to salvage sample size pieces from the loaf to recoup the cost of materials.

Water:lye was 1.8:1
Lye solution at 94°f and oils at 92°f.
Coconut oil, mango butter, avocado oil, castor oil, olive oil

How can I make this work next time I make this soap? I made this recipe once before with a different combo of eo's (orange eo and almond extract) that also came to trace fast and seized, but not as badly as this one. It was a hot seller, so I want to find a way to make it work. I think it was the clove oil. I read (after the fact) that it can cause acceleration.

Attachments

• 20211221_071954.jpg
    20211221_071954.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 35
At first glance…
1. TD and AA can speed trace
2. “Hot” EO like cinnamon or clove tend to accelerate soap
3. What percentage of coconut oil are you using, high percentages of CO accelerate batches for me.
4. You could try 2:1 water:lye ratio, sometimes more water helps…
I’ve stopped adjusting my water and just stick with 33.3% or 2:1 ratio. And I soap between 85° and 90° Or sometimes in the warmer months room temp. I’ve lessened my batter acceleration considerably, unless I try a new FO. Of course my usual recipe is a high percentage Lard which helps with trace. There are so many factors can be the cause of a batter accelerating.

I was thinking it was the clove eo, because I didn't add the powders yet and it was already seizing. I'll have to rethink my eo combination for this one again. It's supposed to be sunset colors, so I'm looking for a warm scent. Any suggestions?

I haven't cut it yet. It's still a tad soft. I'm hopimg there aren't too many air pockets. I'm thinking of cutting it into rectangular bars and sell it as ugly soap so I can recoup my cost.

How long have you been making soap? I ask because:

1. You used clove EO - a known trace accelerant and skin irritant for many folks.

2. You used almond extract in the previous batch, which contains alcohol - a known trace accelerant, plus the almond scent from extract is not likely to last very long.

If you haven't been making soap very long, it's best not to sell it to anyone. Please invest the time and money into making and curing many small batches, to see how your soap performs over time. Otherwise, how will you know if it tends to get rancid quickly, or is irritating to the skin? Once your soap has properly cured, gift it to friends and family members who are willing to be your testers.

I don't say that to be mean or critical, but selling not-so-great soap really hurts all the other soapmakers who work so hard to convince folks that hand-crafted soap is better than store-bought soap.

AliOop just addressed all the key questions I was going to ask. When a person presents the question you asked and states using "Extract" it screams new soapmaker to me. When you mention "Selling" it flags another issue. As a long-time seller, it was an uphill battle to convince customers my soap was not like the bad soap they had experienced from someone else when they had purchased a poor bar of soap. Whether it was due to it being a harsh soap or a soap that did not last long. It is fairly easy to get the first sale, but return sales are not always easy.

@violets2217 it is interesting you mention AC causing acceleration, I always found it slowed trace for me and I used a lot of AC for my black colorant. Granted it was probably the fact I held back some fragrance or oil to mix the AC before adding it into the batter.

@violets2217 it is interesting you mention AC causing acceleration, I always found it slowed trace for me and I used a lot of AC for my black colorant. Granted it was probably the fact I held back some fragrance or oil to mix the AC before adding it into the batter.
Great tip on mixing the AC with FO or oil. I always mix it into my batter and it always thickens for me, too. I will be a happy camper if this works for me, thank you!

I've been making and selling salves and balms for three uears using the same oils and butters that I use in my soaps. I'm familiar with clove oil and it's properties, but not in soapmaking. It doesn't misbehave when making salves. Of course, lye is a different animal.

I've been making soap for about a year, selling for about six months. I've had great feedback from my friends and family and customers, nothing negative and have repeat customers.

This was a new soap that didn't come out badly using almond extract in the first batch(see photo) (which admittedly was somethimg new I tried with positive results in spite of the acceleration, just not as bad as what the clove oil did).
Because I had acceleration the first time and thought it was the almond extract, I changed it to clove oil, not thinking it would cause problems because I've used it plenty of times in the last three years. Yes, it was first time using it in soap. I'm starting to expand my line of soaps and trying different things, a little more advanced than the simpler soaps I've been making, and so still learning.

I don't sell anything that hasn't been tested. So if I sell this batch as ugly soap it will most definitely be tested on myself and others before I sell it.

I appreciate your concern and advice. It will help me improve. And trust me, I don't sell anything that isn't worthy of being sold. I'm in this for quality, because I don't want my name tarnished by inferior products either.

Attachments

• 20211130_150426~2.jpg
    20211130_150426~2.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 35
Granted it was probably the fact I held back some fragrance or oil to mix the AC before adding it into the batter.
I also mix with batch oil and my AC part always thickens more than other parts…. It’s weird, but not really an issue most times.

I was trying to do a four color soap using turmeric, paprika, TD and AC. I poured the essential oils (clove and tangerine) into the oils before I poured the lye solution. The oils came to trace after 2 or 3 very short bursts with the stick blender. I separated out the batter and before I put the colorants in, the batter was already seizing.
Hi there and welcome! The end result is a nice design and I like the colors.

I've never had a soap seize on me before. I only use essential oils for scent, and I've used all your colorants routinely. But what caught my eye is that you added your essential oils before you added lye. Here's the way I learned to make soap: Mix oils. Mix lye solution. Let cool. Add lye to oils. Stir to light trace or emulsion. Sub-divide batter. Add essential oils and colorants. Stir and pour. I don't know the science or rationale behind it, I'm just sharing how I learned.

And just as an FYI if you don't know, I get usage rates for essential oils from Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Essential Oil Calculator .

Hi there and welcome! The end result is a nice design and I like the colors.

I've never had a soap seize on me before. I only use essential oils for scent, and I've used all your colorants routinely. But what caught my eye is that you added your essential oils before you added lye. Here's the way I learned to make soap: Mix oils. Mix lye solution. Let cool. Add lye to oils. Stir to light trace or emulsion. Sub-divide batter. Add essential oils and colorants. Stir and pour. I don't know the science or rationale behind it, I'm just sharing how I learned.

And just as an FYI if you don't know, I get usage rates for essential oils from Find Free Essential Oil Blends - Essential Oil Calculator .

I've been adding my eo's to the oil mixture before adding the lye solution for a few months because I read somewhere that doing that will disperse the eo's and prevent rapid trace and seizing. I haven't had a problem until recently. I think I'll go back to adding them in after reaching trace.

I use clove oil in several of my soaps, and I have not had a problem with seizing. I use a very small amount (whatever is recommended in EO Calc) and I usually use an EO that slows down trace with it. I add EOs at trace, not with the oils.

I use clove oil in several of my soaps, and I have not had a problem with seizing. I use a very small amount (whatever is recommended in EO Calc) and I usually use an EO that slows down trace with it. I add EOs at trace, not with the oils.
I think I added too much because I couldn't smell it under the tangerine eo based on the recommendation in EO calc and added some more. Sometimes I can still smell the soaping oils through the eo's and I'll add more to hide the oil smell. Maybe my eo's aren't good? I use Handcraft Blends and The Plant Guru eo's for soaps.

Maybe my eo's aren't good? I use Handcraft Blends and The Plant Guru eo's for soaps.
Maybe? Granted I haven't tried those hehe. If you search you'll find lots of recommendations on where to get good EOs. I know Zing uses only Brambleberry for example..

Having said that, careful with going over the recommended usage rates of EOs. My clove has a very strong scent, but then again I add my EOs after my HP cook. As it cures it does "blend" in with the others though. Sorry if that doesn't apply to you....

Both those vendors are promoting aromatherapy. I am not an expert on essential oils but would recommend you buy from a soap supply vendor. I saw those teeny bottles on Plant Guru.com which are super expensive ounce for ounce. I buy from Bramble Berry, and a search on this forum would yield other recommended vendors. I cost compared once awhile ago and found BB to be lowest. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back