ANNOYED!!!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SouthernEssence

Reaction score
I had a show this past weekend. There was me and 1 other person selling soaps there. My soaps are natural, light and beneficial to your skin and hers were hot pink and bright blue and WAY over scented. She made M&P and told me she used just straight white base, no goats milk no beneficial ingredients like oatmeal, tea tree oil or anything. She said they were for decoration more than anything but turned right around and was telling customers how her soaps cure acne and blaa blaa lie lie.

My soaps are made for your skin. Not for decoration. I did REALLY good at the show but I got sooooo tired of some people saying "Sea Kelp? Why would you want to smell like Sea Kelp?" and "The Lavender & Goats Milk Soap doesn't smell really strong."

WELL the Sea Kelp is for your skin, you know the stuff covering your entire body...the stuff soap is made for. My lavender doesn't smell strong enough? That's because I use EO and the smell isn't as strong as FO and the bars have cured for 4 weeks, when you use the soap the scent will be stronger.

I did have people come to my booth with a bag with her company name on it and buy soaps from me too. (Her booth was closer to the door than mine) They said her soaps would be in their guest bathrooms and mine were going in their shower. :D

Thanks for reading, I needed to vent. Next weekend I'm going to try out our local farmer's market.

Not for nothin....I would buy your soap over hers anyday (if I wasn't already obsessed with making my own). The thing is you are selling to the masses...many of which do not understand what nourishes and protects your skin. They buy like they were taught...if it it bright colors and smells strong then its good. THey don't understand that the soap they use in the shower, the shampoo they use on their hair, and the dishwashing liquid they use in the sink is all the same product....chemicals merely with different colors and different scents. I work in the environmental industry and heard this straight from the horses mouth. This of course is in regards to supermarket bought industrial standards.

At least for those people who bought both of your soaps...they will be coming back to you!

Joanne

7053joanne said:
Not for nothin....I would buy your soap over hers anyday (if I wasn't already obsessed with making my own). The thing is you are selling to the masses...many of which do not understand what nourishes and protects your skin. They buy like they were taught...if it it bright colors and smells strong then its good. THey don't understand that the soap they use in the shower, the shampoo they use on their hair, and the dishwashing liquid they use in the sink is all the same product....chemicals merely with different colors and different scents. I work in the environmental industry and heard this straight from the horses mouth. This of course is in regards to supermarket bought industrial standards.

At least for those people who bought both of your soaps...they will be coming back to you!

Joanne

Thanks! I am soooo anti-chemicals it's not even funny. I try to educate people as much as I can but I'm not sure that they listen or care. I'm sorry but I CARE about what goes on my body and what washes down the drain.

I think the people who are really interested in natural ingredients and quality, would buy your soap anyway. When you have researched it at all, you know the difference between BS, and a real natural product.

I'm sorry, but why would anyone WANT a really strong lavender scented soap? Ick. :)

I'm sorry to hear that sweetie but keep in mind you can't please everybody nor should you try to. A lot of people just love colorful crap thats overly scented and thats okay because there will be a bunch of other people like me that would rather have your soap. I have very sensitive skin so I can't use anything overly scented. :D More will come for your stuff just give it time!

Kat

No two businesses, within the same area, will market their goods the same way, or even agree that the other competitors goods are much different from yours. The freedom of customers to choose is what our Capitalist economy is based on. Just do what works for you and like the old saying goes;

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!"

Paul

Don't let it get to ya! :wink: The public is just beginning to become aware of the "natural" market. Most prefer scent and 'purdy' at this point.

It sounds like you have targeted the natural market from the beginning and I say don't give that up. There are many of us in the same boat but I have noticed my own sales increase as customers share their experience with others.

Do you have a simple brochure pointing out the benes of your ingredients? That has worked well for me. You don't have to give bene info on all your ingredients but a bit on just a few reels them in to find out more. This being said, be sure you are prepared to answer. :wink:

Different strokes for different folks! Some people like strong, some people like soft, heck some people like unscented, and that's okay! Without differences of preferences, this world might be a little more boring. And people are drawn to aesthetic things, things that are pleasing to their eye - and there again, some people like bright and knock your socks off and others like a more natural look. I'm a little peeved for you that that lady was making claims about her soap curing acne, cuz plain white base, well, umm, doesn't, obviously... :( If she's using an all natural white base, it is probaby more beneficial than a syn det, but still, no acne curing going on, for sure, LOL!

But in the end, you know those people that bought from you and from her are - like they said - putting the pretty shiny things in the guest bathroom, where probably no one will use them (and if they did use them, would probably notice a difference between your CP and her M&P) just ooh and ahh at them like they are little peices of decor, and putting your soap in their shower where it's going to be used. I wonder who will get more repeat sales. :shock: (On the other hand, such is the fate of many a pretty M&P soap even if it does have extra goodness added to it... Take the cute pumpkin soap I made for my mom around thanksgiving - yep, still sitting in the pretty basket in the guest bathroom, still wrapped. Too bad, it's a yummy soap to actually USE...)

Glad you did well at the show, you deserve it!! :) I remember the pics of your soaps you were preparing for the show, they looked so awesome!

I think I would have had to say something like "Gee, I had no idea craft soap base from the hobby shop had medical properties..." real loud to her customers everytime she made a claim...

Tabitha said:
I think I would have had to say something like "Gee, I had no idea craft soap base from the hobby shop had medical properties..." real loud to her customers everytime she made a claim...

LOL, that would have been good! :)

Putting down someone else's product will only look like sour grapes. Different soaps mean different people will prefer one over the other. Sell on the strengths of your product not on the weakness of hers. And if you are busy making a great product you are too busy to be the soap police. If she makes unwarranted medical claims it is the FDA's job to put her in check. Not yours. Now if you hear her tell a consumer something that good harm the consumer by all means speak up.

Well Tabitha, I kind of like the idea of having a pile of crutches, empty bandages, a wheelchair or two, guide dog harness and a few piece of raw chicken livers strewn about the booth. All under the sign " Miracle Soap" You can have friends in the audience respond to your "altar call" and cure them of their afflications.

This too is Tongue in cheek.

Back