Annnnd...Today Was The Day

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Gregory

Reaction score
After collecting all the utensils, oils, lye, fragrance, watching hours of videos on You Tube the psychic vibrations aligned and I put my first proper recipe [real measurements on a real scale] in the Crock Pot [new was only a couple $$ more than one from Goodwill] for my first Hot Process soap batch.

I feel like a bloody bandit. Took the proper time, progressed slowly, something I never did previously [Have to get to trace... have to get to trace, temps temps]. It was a scream.

And it may bomb, who knows, but the things I've learned.

Some notes:

Smell of lard like that of vomit: sweet and cloying. And obnoxious.

Have my timer set to check the Pot O' Crock every ten minutes.

Edges are starting to turn after 20 minutes.

Here is my recipe:
Castor Oil 5%
Coconut Oil 20%
Olive Oil 25%
Manteca [Spanish, sounds so much more polite than LARD] 50%.

I've been taking pictures of the process.

Thanks everyone here.

Thanks,everyone.

I give myself a C- on this one. Looks like re batch, fragrance already dissipating [Ebay bargain : "Geranium"], still a little soft.

It is however my own personal best........ a very low "bar". No crumbling, rancid smell, oil weeping, soda ash.....

But I stayed up late again watching more videos and searching for a loaf mold with wooden frame. Re-calculated a recipe without that stinking lard [OMG the odor stayed in my nostrils the rest of the afternoon. And it looks so clean and pure].

[View attachment 40386 HPIM2396.JPG HPIM2399.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM2394.JPG
    HPIM2394.JPG
    259.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Thanks,everyone.

I give myself a C- on this one. Looks like re batch, fragrance already dissipating [Ebay bargain : "Geranium"], still a little soft.

It is however my own personal best........ a very low "bar". No crumbling, rancid smell, oil weeping, soda ash.....

But I stayed up late again watching more videos and searching for a loaf mold with wooden frame. Re-calculated a recipe without that stinking lard [OMG the odor stayed in my nostrils the rest of the afternoon. And it looks so clean and pure].

[View attachment 40386 View attachment 40387 View attachment 40388

If you want to keep the metal racks, get some plastic canvas sheets on over the wire rack, Then put your soap on the plastic.

You did it - you made soap! I love the color and the soap looks good. Clean up the edges a little and no one will know you’re a newbie. :)
Thanks for that. Not giving up. I need to start taking notes, use better brands of fragrance. But still simple recipes.

Will try again when the log loaf mold gets here.

Changing recipes, with no lard and for a harder bar, these are still kind of soft.

I'll trim it when I put wrappers on it. Christmas is coming.

Latest posts

Back