Anne-Marie Faiola's new book...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nframe

Reaction score
...called Pure Soap Making. Has anybody read it? Is it worth buying? I love soaping books but I have so many already!

If you have so many soap books, and you are a member of this forum, what could you possibly hope to learn that is new from her book? If you want to learn more, Scientific Soapmaking really did teach me volumes, once I understood that it is a textbook for a college course, so I sat down and studied it that way.

The book has ~just~ been released, so very few folks have the opportunity to read it.

Storey Publishing and/or Brambleberry are trying to get a positive buzz going with a sprinkling of pre-release reviews. Not sure how they chose who got copies, however. Of the reviews I checked on Goodreads, the majority are not soap makers or are newbie soapers. The gist of what I'm reading is pretty much, "I've only got a batch or two under my belt, but this sure looks useful and interesting. Or I've never done this, probably never will, but I'd use this book to get started." In short, not overly helpful.

Here's a review by an experienced soap maker who actually has something useful to say: http://www.haleymaxwellsoapmakingmysteries.com/2016/01/pure-soapmaking-by-anne-marie-faiola.html

Reviews at Amazon: www.amazon.com/Pure-Soapmaking-Create-Nourishing-Natural/dp/1612125336

Last edited:
I thought about it but I can be pretty cheap. That and there are only three peopls who got some money from me: Ann Watson, Alicia Grosso, and Geoffrey Lee White. I'm about to make a fourth but it won't be for the book in question (thanks Susie).

Read the Amazon reviews before you buy it.

I haven't read the book, but I did read the Amazon reviews. It sounds like AMF may use some materials that not all would consider natural, as the title suggests. For example, a couple of reviewers mention that she uses iron oxides and TD for colorants, which don't exactly fall into the "all natural" category. I guess I thought the book would be more about using natural-natural colorants (turmeric, cocoa powder, woad, spinach powder, alkanet, indigo, etc.).

I'd like to see it just for curiosity sake but I'm not going to buy it. If our local library ever gets a copy, I'll check it out. I have several soaping books too that I like to read through every now and again mostly to jump start my creativity or remind me of an ingredient I'd like to try. Other than that, I get WAY more good, solid advice and information right here. And it's FREE!

You can read quite a bit of the beginning of it on Amazon (which is what Im doing now). She is recommending Pyrex for the lye mixing and soap batter?!?!

You can read quite a bit of the beginning of it on Amazon (which is what Im doing now). She is recommending Pyrex for the lye mixing and soap batter?!?!

Before I even started soaping, I read so much about soapmaking I started to get crosseyed. The thing I really noticed coming up all the time during my research, was the advice not to use pyrex glass when diluting lye. At all.

So the first thing I got starting up, was the proper plastic bowl for diluting the lye instead.
But she seems to have a completely different opinion on what to use? Wonder why some say it is completely safe, and others say it is a big no-no.

I`ll stick to my plastic bowl, it is still as new after using it non-stop for almost a year. I don`t think I would feel safe it was a pyrex, expecting it to crack just when I had mixed up a bath of hot lye...:???::sick:

I don't think that Pyrex goes wrong very often - would be surprised if it was 1 time in 1,000 usages. But when it does, imagine hot glass shattering everywhere with hot lye solution splashing over everything.

Even it was one use in a million, I would still say that Pyrex is unsafe for soaping, especially when plastic and stainless are available. Otherwise it's just a risk that is not needed.

But anyway, books - it depends what the book is giving. Recipes? Swirl techniques? It has to be giving something worthwhile or it is just a stack of thinly sliced dead tree, printed with information that you already knew it could have easily found out here or elsewhere online?

My threshold for buying books is now really high

I'm with Susie- I'll stick to the forums. :mrgreen:

Gent- the Pyrex sold over in Europe is different from the Pyrex sold in the USA. I believe you guys still use borosilicate in yours. Sadly, we do not. Ours is not as strong as it used to be, as evidenced by a good handful of soapers who have reported their Pyrex pitchers going kablooie on them.

As an aside, I found new company in the USA making 100% borosilicate bakeware. They only offer a 9.5" pie plate and 9 x 13 rectangular baking dish at this time, though, bit still, this is great news to me...... Borolux

IrishLass :)

I'm with Susie- I'll stick to the forums. :mrgreen:

Gent- the Pyrex sold over in Europe is different from the Pyrex sold in the USA. I believe you guys still use borosilicate in yours. Sadly, we do not. Ours is not as strong as it used to be, as evidenced by a good handful of soapers who have reported their Pyrex pitchers going kablooie on them.

As an aside, I found new company in the USA making 100% borosilicate bakeware. They only offer a 9.5" pie plate and 9 x 13 rectangular baking dish at this time, though, bit still, this is great news to me...... Borolux

IrishLass :)

Sounds good enough to me. For that pie plate to have over 100 reviews and be close enough to 5 stars is amazing.

...called Pure Soap Making. Has anybody read it? Is it worth buying? I love soaping books but I have so many already!

I have it on order from B&N, but I won't be picking it up until Tuesday. I have her other soap making book, Soap Crafting, which isn't my favorite, but it did get me started. I have other natural soap making books too, so I'm looking forward to seeing this one and the recipes it may have.

Get it from the library first and see if it's worth buying. ☺

What you wrote made me laugh: first, because the book will not be available in the UK (where I live) until mid-February and also because of the state of public libraries in this country. Because of government cuts, the few that have remained opened have hardly any books in them. Our alternative is to get it from Amazon, have a look at it and then return it if we don't like it.

Thank you all for your replies.

Scientific soapmaking is the only book I have ever paid for. I feel like pretty much all the other information you need is freely available in blog posts and forums.

Back