anise oil soap

Discussion in 'Beginners Soap Making Forum' started by Marilyn Norgart, Jan 11, 2019.

Help Support Soapmaking Forum by donating:

1. Jan 11, 2019 #1

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

the third time is the charm!!! I am so happy about how this one turned out!!! 20190110_214915.jpg

HowieRoll, Zing and dibbles like this.
  2. Jan 11, 2019 #2

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

It looks lovely!

(I like the contrast between the opaque dark and the translucent white :thumbs:)

3. Jan 11, 2019 #3

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Thanks. I love your soap--how did you do that? did you use a slab? I just started doing soap a few weeks ago and I love how beautiful everybody's soap is

4. Jan 11, 2019 #4

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

Supporting Member Supporting Member

Very nice Marilyn! And a belated welcome from a fellow Minnesotan.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  5. Jan 11, 2019 #5

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

SaltedFig

Lifetime Supporter

(There's no escape for you now! ... you're a soaper ;))

The soap in my current avatar (I change it a few times a year) is made from one batch - I kept a little aside for the top to color later, and made the base by adding powdered charcoal (a little as a slurry and a little as dry powder) and lots of salt (to make it into a salt bar, which sets up quite quickly). I poured the dark base, then fiddled around with my zinc oxide (mixed with a little water first, to make a slurry to add to the soap batter) to color the top soap batter, then poured that on (the base was already hardening). I waited until it gelled, then divided the soaps and when it cooled a bit, took one bar to carve. Yes, it was made in a slab mold :)

It was made for the SMF September 2018 soap challenge, hosted by Earlene, titled "Carved Soap Designs".
    Challenge thread: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...llenge-carved-soap-designs.71286/#post-716513
    Photo's of the entry soaps: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...lenge-carved-soap-designs-entry-thread.71503/

(PS. Thank you :))

6. Jan 11, 2019 #6

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Very nice Marilyn. I love that you used anise - I wanted to get a liquorice smell for one of my previous soaps (also black and white similar to yours) but didn't even think of anise until after I'd made it. How does it smell?

7. Jan 11, 2019 #7

shunt2011

shunt2011

shunt2011

Staff Member Admin

Hi and Welcome! Very nice soap.

Marilyn Norgart likes this.
  8. Jan 11, 2019 #8

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

l
    thanks, where in Minnesota are you? I am in central

9. Jan 11, 2019 #9

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

I absolutely love the smell--just like black liqourice. it doesn't seem like many people care for it. I have heard its good for hunters to mask their scent and that it is what is used in Tamiflu ( I have been sniffing it like crazy :) ). so what did you use for your scent?

10. Jan 11, 2019 #10

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

thank you!!

11. Jan 11, 2019 #11

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

thank you!

12. Jan 11, 2019 #12

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

thank you!

13. Jan 11, 2019 #13

MGM

MGM

MGM

Lovely! I wish I could make some (have a 100ml bottle of anise EO just sitting there) but it turns out the kids can't stand the smell. Who knew? Whose kids are these? My wife and I love licorice. But the children insist on living--and breathing--in the house, so I guess no licorice soap for me.....

KiwiMoose likes this.
  14. Jan 11, 2019 #14

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I ended up using a FO called Black Currant Absinthe that I found from a supplier here. It smells quite nice - perhaps a little men's cologne-ish. Anise would have been better.
    It would be cool to do a giant 'liquorice allsort' loaf and use charcoal for the liquorice and some brighter colours between, fruit flavour for the bright colours. Then slice it up. Do you have liquorice all sorts over there?https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquorice_allsorts
    180px-Liquorice_allsorts_2010.jpg

15. Jan 11, 2019 #15

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

North of the cities - we are probably in the northernmost area that could still be considered a suburb.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  16. Jan 11, 2019 #16

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

I've been to Duluth - anywhere near there?

17. Jan 11, 2019 #17

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

Marilyn Norgart

yes we do have allsorts here--its one of my favorite candies, I think it has been changed a bit from when I was younger though, I don't remember it being fruity. but soap like that would be amazing but I think a lot of work. I almost bought some absinthe FO too, glad I didn't, I have enough anise soap for now (it took three batches to get what I wanted--this is a learning curve for me :) ) now I am making one of the batches that turned purple on me and chunking it up and putting in an orange scented soap.

KiwiMoose likes this.
  18. Jan 12, 2019 #18

dibbles

dibbles

dibbles

We're a couple of hours south of Duluth. I love it there. Farther north along the north shore of Lake Superior is even better :)

KiwiMoose likes this.
  19. Jan 12, 2019 #19

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

KiwiMoose

Does the anise accelerate the batter?

20. Jan 14, 2019 #20

karon L adams

karon L adams

karon L adams

Anise CAN accelerate the reaction. it is a 'warm' essential oil, like cinnamon and Clove and Ginger. all of those can accelerate the reaction. but that doesn't really mean you want to use less. just be aware of the fact. meanwhile, what are you using for your dark colorant? that is very cool looking!

meanwhile, I have an anise story. when we had the business, we shipped a lot of essential oils (We did NOT sell fragrance oils. I started the business in the first place because fragrance oils made me sick so everything was essential in our place). anyway, my mother packed up an 8 oz bottle of Anise and boxed it to ship, put it in the car on the way to pick up the kids from school. and promptly forgot about it. a few weeks later, the customer called, where was her EO? no questions, we packed & shipped again, and wondered what the Post had done THIS time?

Time passes and we are into summer, when one afternoon my mom goes out after working in the shop and opens the car and gets a WALL of anise!!!!!! Apparently, that very SMALL bottle in its very SMALL box had slid under the seat and waited. and in the summer heat of ChattaVegas in a closed car, exploded. think about that next time you consider taking the dog with you.....

for the next 3 YEARS, that car smelled of licorice. actually, until we had an accident and it was totalled,t here was always a faint smell. but the first 3 years were INTENSE ! I remember going to pick up my daughter the next spring, windows down, nice day, a group of girls walked by around 30 feet away and one of them turned to the other and said, "I smell Licorice". I heard that over and over again. I was once in my office, in the copy room, a couple of agents walked down the hall outside the copy room, I heard the same thing!

Just be careful and keep your eyes on those boxes!!

KiwiMoose and Marilyn Norgart like this.