Anise & Neem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dawni

Reaction score
Yep. That's what it smells like in my son's room where I cure my soaps.
Our conversation about it:
Him: why does my room smell weird?
Me: that's your soap, coz your current batch is running out
Him while lifting an eyebrow: that's gonna fade to nothing right?

I didn't tell him that his previous batch, made about 11mos ago, still has a veeery faint neem scent and I used more neem this time hahaha

I shared a bit of history in the old post (click link above) but I wanted to share that - OMG - lard and neem combined at this amount took forever to trace! None of my previous recipes took this long. SB and hand stirring til medium trace took all of 12 minutes, and that's while everything was in the pot, on high.

That surprised me. I was told neem accelerates trace and it did, in the previous batch, at only 10%. That soap didn't have lard though...

It also took forever to cook. I kept checking after the 20 minute mark, coz that's usually just how long my other soaps take (even less most times), and I was getting worried I'd overcook it.

I don't usually zap test once they're obviously gelled. This one I did, maybe 3x and gosh was it bitter. Probably the most awful zap tests ever - you get the zap plus the bitter taste, and a whiff of burnt garlic combined with rotten egg smell lol. I turned the pot off at 40mins.

To make things worse... I layered my three colors - original neem brown (you'll see it in the link above), black with activated charcoal, and lighter tan with zinc oxide - and realized I forgot to add my EOs. I didn't have enough leftover batter to mix my scents in so I dumped everything back into the pot.

Upon hindsight I should have just left the whole things unscented but then I needed something to cover the neem smell. The whole thing turned a dark chocolate brown, from the addition of charcoal, and I ended up with only a mini swirl just towards the top.

But hey, it'll be good soap, so I'm ok with this. I wish I had a before n after pic of my teenager, coz since he started using this and only this soap, he does not get awful breakouts, and when he does get a pimple it's never huge like before. His pores have also gotten smaller hence, fewer giant blackheads. On a side note, either his hormones have calmed down, or his pits like my soap more than commercial soap lol

I will not ever claim that this cures acne and other stuff, but if someone asks me what we use for it I'll say we use this, but there's no guarantee. On another note, a cousin of mine who tested this for me for about 6mos now claims that he no longer gets whatever rash he does on his legs. He now refuses to use anything else so for Christmas I gifted him several bars.

Now, onto the soap, yes? Lol
_20200117_142457.JPG

This soap has 15% each neem and grapeseed oil, 10% each cocoa and shea, 5% castor, 17% coconut and the remaining is lard. It's a tweak of my second soap posted here, for which I got help from our lovely forum members. It's scented with anise, cedarwood, lemongrass, sage and tea tree.

Sorry for the long read lol

This soap is lovely—the swirl colors just right. Thanks for sharing your ingredients and been experience. My neem soap after 5 months now smells really nice and works great. My other too dark soap with BB Sultry Black Jasmine plus BB Neroli, after 5 months, is holding its fragrance superbly and has hardened very well. Have had to take a break in soapmaking due to moving, but ready to start up again, with hp on my mind. But it’s ok because seeing how a 5 months cure affected my recipes, I know I’m doing something right. And in the meantime learning from this great forum and creating recipes through SoapCalc, I’m way better at hitting the number marks on first try. Do we have any soap makers here from Tucson?

@Dawni That looks great! After your description, I was expecting a hot mess, but that looks very intentional and sophisticated.
And, thanks to your extra-long description :)p), you've convinced me to make a batch (CP) for my teen!
I do have all those EOs...what percentages did you use?

Thanks all! I feel much better about how it looks now lol

Do you find that the anise slows trace some?
This is HP so my EOs got added after cooking. I haven't tried anise in CP, sorry. I also didn't notice that it thickened up my batter...
@Dawni That looks great! After your description, I was expecting a hot mess, but that looks very intentional and sophisticated.
And, thanks to your extra-long description :)p), you've convinced me to make a batch (CP) for my teen!
I do have all those EOs...what percentages did you use?
Thank you. It was a hot mess before I planed it lol, and the color has changed slightly. It was more poop than chocolate when I first cut it.

Percentages: anise 10%, cedarwood 20%, lemongrass 20%, sage 10% and tea tree 40%. That only works if you like tea tree hahaha

Percentages: anise 10%, cedarwood 20%, lemongrass 20%, sage 10% and tea tree 40%. That only works if you like tea tree hahaha

Great, thanks. I think I will try your recipe and see how it goes with CP.
I think I've only used used EOs in CP once (patchouli)....I have a lot of EOs, but they're only 5ml or 15ml each, so I can't bear using a whole bottle in for a wash-off product (a few drops goes really far in my other products). I did order a full 100ml of patchouli though, so I'm raring to go. TTO is also cheap, so I can spare some of that. My kid hates anise though, so I may need to leave it out entirely...perhaps more lemongrass?

@MGM I think that would smell great. The first batch of this had only tea tree and cedarwood, second one I added the lemongrass.

Lol @Kiti Williams everyone knows that his room has never smelled better since I started curing my soaps there haha

@Mobjack Bay you're right. I just wanted a different shade of brown lols but this one is growing on me :)

All right I did it! Small 4-bar batch. Got a little extra cedar EO in there, but should be fine. Was a very lovely shade of cappuccino; will see what it looks liek (and smells like!) as it saponifies and cures....

All right I did it! Small 4-bar batch. Got a little extra cedar EO in there, but should be fine. Was a very lovely shade of cappuccino; will see what it looks liek (and smells like!) as it saponifies and cures....
Great! Show us once it's cut :)

Back