Anise EO from WSP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Bought some Anise EO from WSP and like a newbie didn’t check the usage rates for cold process. It is only .10% which ends up only being .79 grams or .17 tsp. for my oil batch which is 794g. Not even sure how I would measure it. I have plastic pipettes. How many drops do you think that might be. Was thinking of mixing it with an Orange EO I also got from WSP. Has anyone used Anise EO in their CP soaps?

I've used it at 3%. It seems to fade relatively quickly so I switched to licorice FO

I never checked usage rates, mine probably had a low usage amount too.
I've bought from BB and wsp.

Last edited:
First I got up to see how many drops of Olive Oil made .79 grams, but then became very curious about such a minuscule safe rate. I looked at Star Anise EO on WSP and sure enough, their site says ".10%". I then checked other sites for the safe usage rate of this EO in ColdProcess soap. You might want to have a check around to other sites, as I suspect the WSP safe usage rate for Star Anise EO is a typo. I leave the research and final determination up to you. :)

I googled: "anise EO safe usage rates in soap"

First I got up to see how many drops of Olive Oil made .79 grams, but then became very curious about such a minuscule safe rate. I looked at Star Anise EO on WSP and sure enough, their site says ".10%". I then checked other sites for the safe usage rate of this EO in ColdProcess soap. You might want to have a check around to other sites, as I suspect the WSP safe usage rate for Star Anise EO is a typo. I leave the research and final determination up to you. :)

I googled: "anise EO safe usage rates in soap"
yes, very strange. I checked Nature’s Garden and it was .10% on there as well. I went on Brambleberry and checked based on my batch size and the number it gave me worked out to be 1% for the strong end but Brambleberry bases their calc on total batch size. I sent a question to WSP about it and see what they say.

EOCalc.com also shows a very low safe usage rate for anise EO. It is a known skin sensitizer and can react with some medications (primarily if used orally). Here is some info about Anise from Hopewell Essential Oils (a site that I like because it frequently quotes Tisserand and other respected authors):

Children? Avoid use with children under 5 (due to estrogenic properties).
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding? Not suitable due to (E) anethole content (Tisserand/Young). Balacs writes in Hormones and Health: "The oestrogenic effects of aniseed are relatively weak but suggest that it would be safe not to use orally during pregnancy and breast feeding."
Medication/Health Condition?
Contraindicated All Routes: Endometriosis, Estrogen-dependent Cancers
Caution Orally: Diabetes, Diuretic and Anticoagulant medication (such as aspirin, heparin, warfarin), Renal insufficiency, Edematous disorders, Major Surgery and Childbirth (up to one week before and after), Peptic Ulcers, Hemophilia and other Bleeding disorders, Severe Hepatic (liver) or Renal (kidney) impairment, Hypertensive or Diabetic Retinopathy, Thrombocytopenia (decreased platelet count), Vasculitis
[Contraindicated orally because Anise "may inhibit platelet aggregation based on in vitro data either for the oil or a major constituent." Essential Oil Safety by Tisserand/Young, page 117.]

I use it at around 10g to 1000g (1kg or just under 2 pounds) oil. EO calc gives it a green light at that usage rate. However, that is in a blend with a further 30g of Lavender EO.
I have also used it at a lower rate in a blend with cinnamon and patchouli 20/20/60 respectively.
EoCalc says it's fine to use 12.5g Anise EO to 1000g Oil for CP soap.

I use it at around 10g to 1000g (1kg or just under 2 pounds) oil. EO calc gives it a green light at that usage rate. However, that is in a blend with a further 30g of Lavender EO.
I have also used it at a lower rate in a blend with cinnamon and patchouli 20/20/60 respectively.
EoCalc says it's fine to use 12.5g Anise EO to 1000g Oil for CP soap.
Jeez,
Such a huge disparity from EO calc to WSP where I bought it. It only cost me a couple of dollars. Would almost rather not use it but I thought it would go good with the Sweet Orange EO I bought.

EOCalc.com also shows a very low safe usage rate for anise EO. It is a known skin sensitizer and can react with some medications (primarily if used orally). Here is some info about Anise from Hopewell Essential Oils (a site that I like because it frequently quotes Tisserand and other respected authors):

Children? Avoid use with children under 5 (due to estrogenic properties).
Pregnancy/Breastfeeding? Not suitable due to (E) anethole content (Tisserand/Young). Balacs writes in Hormones and Health: "The oestrogenic effects of aniseed are relatively weak but suggest that it would be safe not to use orally during pregnancy and breast feeding."
Medication/Health Condition?
Contraindicated All Routes: Endometriosis, Estrogen-dependent Cancers
Caution Orally: Diabetes, Diuretic and Anticoagulant medication (such as aspirin, heparin, warfarin), Renal insufficiency, Edematous disorders, Major Surgery and Childbirth (up to one week before and after), Peptic Ulcers, Hemophilia and other Bleeding disorders, Severe Hepatic (liver) or Renal (kidney) impairment, Hypertensive or Diabetic Retinopathy, Thrombocytopenia (decreased platelet count), Vasculitis
[Contraindicated orally because Anise "may inhibit platelet aggregation based on in vitro data either for the oil or a major constituent." Essential Oil Safety by Tisserand/Young, page 117.]
Thanks for this response. Looks like EOCalc usage rate is 1%. I am thinking the .1% listed on WSP and NG might be a typo but that is such a huge discrepancy that I might just not use it. Only cost me a couple of dollars so no big deal.

Unless the product from WSP contains something other than Anise EO, the usage rate should not change from supplier to supplier. It is possible that EOCalc is the site with the typo, since all the others agree.

It is a wonderful scent. You could always make a small batch for testing on yourself.

Latest posts

Back