Animal Dairy - Plant Dairy

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathymzr

Reaction score
Always questions! Please set me straight! If I use an animal dairy milk like yogurt, buttermilk, goat milk, should the soap Not be gelled, for fear of getting too hot?
Is it ok to gel, then, plant based dairy like coconut “milk”, almond “milk”, rice “milk”?

Set me straight!!

Any type of milk soap will heat up more so than just a water soap, but that doesn't mean you can't gel. Just watch so it doesn't crack or volcano. I soap either very cool or RT with all my soaps, milk, beer, or other, and I always wrap to encourage gel. I just wrap less with my 'non-water' soaps to avoid cracking.

It's not the milk per se that can cause overheating, it's the sugars. So that pertains to most alternative liquids and purees like milks (any variety), alcoholic beverages, soda pop, vegetable and fruit purees, etc. I don't soap especially cool so when I use any potential over heaters I don't insulate, just cover and monitor like @jcandleattic. I've only had one batch overheat and crack and that was very early in my soaping journey. It was due to over insulating a pumpkin puree soap so I learned quickly not to insulate when using those types of additives!

Ooh! Thank you!!

Right—the sugars! Cramming all of soap school into my head! Some of it falls out the holes and I forget!
Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back